Pipe Cap DIY

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaellloyd

Reaction score
Hi!

I want to remove a floor-based dehumidifier from my bathroom and replace it with a humidity-sensing ceiling fan vented outside. The dehumidifier has a reservoir with a 5/8 inch rubber hose connected to a 1 1/2 in horizontal waste line which attaches to a tee joint plumbed into an under-mount sink waste line in a cabinet. I want to cut and cap the pipe inside the cabinet for cosmetic reasons, between the hose connector and the elbow. Can I cut the pipe with a hacksaw? How would you recommend installing the cap - PVC cap cemented to the pipe or a screw-clamp jim cap?

What's your advice w/r/t odors/leaks etc.? Anything else I should think about?

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

Last edited:
Well for one thing that's ABS pipe so if you were to hard cap that you would need an ABS cap and abs glue. Well to me if you never plan on using that ever again and that pipe doesn't serve anything except that dehumidifier then you could put a Hardbody cap on it or you could put a clean out adapter on it in case that sink ever backs up you have an easy access point to put a snake down through it. Jim caps I feel are for temporary capping of lines and should not be permanent

Just cut it where you want to and then glue a 11/2" ABS cap on. Use ABS cement and a hacksaw will be fine. Glue the cap on and then take some abs glue around the cap and pipe and you will be good to go. Let us know how it turns out for you.
Opps... Voletl beat me to the keyboard. Diid'nt see his post until after I posted. But definitely do it the way he said to.

Last edited:
Back