Pin hole leak in ancient galvanized main

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angela9477

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a small leak in my old galvanized water main. The leak seems to be right at what was ground level, I have excavated dirt down about 5 inches around the suspected area.

I have read about pipe clamps. I have also seen suggestions for using gasket material and hose clamps.

The problem however is that the pipe is lumpy, bumpy, and pitted from the corrosion. I can't imagine the gasket material would create enough of a seal around this uneven surface. I could be wrong about that of course.

I just don't dare do much to even out this surface, fearing that the pipe could just crumble.

I know the long term fix is to dig out the pipe until I get to a sound area, cut out the corroded part and replace but I am just not prepared to do that right now. I just need to keep my water running for now without spilling gallons under my back porch and running my well pump.

I am turning off the main valve from the well tank at night and if I know I'm not going to use water for a while so I am trying to keep the area from being constantly damp and muddy. Today when I came home from work after having the water off all day, it was relatively dry around the leak so I know I can get things dry enough to do some sort of fix.

Any suggestions for a filler around this pitty pipe? Or is the pipe clamp/hose clamp option likely to succeed even if the gasket material is not flush to the pipe?

Thanks so much for reading and advising.

U really need to replace the whole pipe. If your not going to do that put a clamp on it. If it drips a little that will at least hold u over till you replace the pipe. Those clamps are tricky if u over tight you can crumble the pipe

Thank you djmayhill. I will do a clamp for now.

I have been reading again about PEX and Sharkbites. I successfully replaced another corroded section of the galvanized that was further down the line with these materials several years ago now.

I think I can do it again with this section. I have access to one threaded joint but don't know how far I will have to dig to get to another threaded joint.

Does anyone know if I can connect the PEX to just a cut end of galvanized, not a threaded end?

This new section would also be running underground for a few feet. I have not run across information about using the PEX and Sharkbite connectors underground.

Advice appreciated. Thank you.

use a dresser coupling
$_35.JPG

you cut the pipe in half, slide the dresser on the pipe and tighten it up

Sharkbite brand fittings are rated and approved for underground installation. Do not bandage the pipe though. Replace from a threaded joint.

Sharkbite brand fittings are rated and approved for underground installation. Do not bandage the pipe though. Replace from a threaded joint.

Could you tell me what you mean by bandage the pipe? Thank you.

professionals do not use shark bites. They work in a lot of situations but are considered to be temporary by most professional plumbers.

shark bytes use a small thin neoprene o-ring to make the water tight no drip seal. steel pipe is rough. not even sure they have those for steel pipe. pex and copper tube have different dimensions.

They do make them in IPS sizes. But I would not want to use one, particularly on old steel pipe.

Dresser coupling for a temporary fix, repipe for a permanent fix.

Reactions: SHR
useless pipe clamps are bandages,

only way to temp repair a steel pipe is with a dresser coupling

shark bite does not fit, no hub couplings are not the correct fitting

you can not thread it, braze it or weld it

all you can do is remove and replace useing a left right nipple and coupling or a union

or a dressr

Reactions: SHR
They do make them in IPS sizes. But I would not want to use one, particularly on old steel pipe.

Dresser coupling for a temporary fix, repipe for a permanent fix.

ips shark bite ? really? not me, but good to know.

your a wealth of knowledge Phishfood, send me a smoked mullet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ips shark bite ? really? not me, but good to know.

your a wealth of knowledge Phishfood, send me a smoked mullet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IPS Sharkbite fittings are for PVC pipe, not steel.

Back