phunky kitchen pvc drain connection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritz57

Reaction score
in doing some mouse cleaning (you read that right) I realized that there is the tiniest bit of leakage from the kitchen sink drain connection.
Seen below.
Can I replace this adapted mess with a piece of flex PVC and a couple Fernco type of collars? Or some other way?
Of course, I still want to be able to clean the trap.
Dunno if it's clear, but the metal drain pipe behind the cabinet wall, heads off in the wall at about a 45º angle.
I guess that stood in the way of making a straighter line up.
I've messed with rigid parts and this crooked mess is the best I could make it. It's either 1.25" or 1.5".

Attachments

• IMAG1810.jpg
    IMAG1810.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMAG1811.jpg
    IMAG1811.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
I can't see the pipe at the wall,but I think you can get rid of those 2 90°s at the trap if you swing the trap under the tree that connects to the dishwasher tee, no flex pvc see if you can show what's at the wall

k. I'll look at that. Couple more pics.
Can't line them up without the 2 90ºs.

Attachments

• IMAG1813.jpg
    IMAG1813.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1814.jpg
    IMAG1814.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1816.jpg
    IMAG1816.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I think I’d cut that copper 45 off and install a 1.5”copper x 1.5” pvc Fernco and stick a St. 22.5 in that to lessen the angle coming out of the wall and then install a 1.5” male trap adapter into the 22.5. This will allow the trap to swing more and line up vertical. Then you’ll need a 1.5”tubular slip joint extension to go between the trap and dishwasher tee.

But I’d akso have a piece of pipe and a regular 22.5 just in case……

"That flex trap would also work but it’s frowned upon because that accordion drain grows funk. It doesn’t wash the walls of the pipe very well as it drains."
yea, makes sense.
Get under there again tmrw.

That dishwasher drain hose should also be up as high as possible so water doesn't drain back into it from the sink. Looks like it is coming from below and tying into that tailpiece.

I think I’d cut that copper 45 off and install a 1.5”copper x 1.5” pvc Fernco and stick a St. 22.5 in that to lessen the angle coming out of the wall and then install a 1.5” male trap adapter into the 22.5. This will allow the trap to swing more and line up vertical. Then you’ll need a 1.5”tubular slip joint extension to go between the trap and dishwasher tee.

But I’d also have a piece of pipe and a regular 22.5 just in case……
I can't visualize the assembly. But I'd rather not be cutting any copper. May be looking at the flex P and be using vinegar and soda more often.

That dishwasher drain hose should also be up as high as possible so water doesn't drain back into it from the sink. Looks like it is coming from below and tying into that tailpiece.
hmmmm, hope there is enough hose to give it a little camel hump.

I can't visualize the assembly. But I'd rather not be cutting any copper. May be looking at the flex P and be using vinegar and soda more often.
Fine with me You could even leave it like it is. 👍✌️

nah, gotta get rid of the slow leak from all them "not quite" connections.;)
Take the joints apart and apply some silicone between the washer and the joint face. Retighten.

Vinegar and soda is a waste of money to put down drains.

OK. Silicon is my friend, as we have discussed in another thread.

guess I hadn't done the Ps in a while. Took it all apart. Whole lotta phunk! Cleaned up. Doesn't look croked like it did. Though I feel a tiny bit of sweat on the PVC (hot here today), there are no leaks. Gotta do the other sink.
I'm out of non-set thread seal. Any one will do? Or are there best choices?
WHats you feeling about using Zep Drain Defense Enzymatic Drain Cleaner or the like?

Last edited:
Those accordion things also get chewed up by mice. I'm no expert, but I would eliminate that first bend that goes horizontal and replace it with a trap with a longer straight top part. You might have to adjust angles a bit though.

Might want to cram some steel wool behind that mesh where the pipe enters and sprinkle some peppermint oil around (mice don't like it). It's not safe for cats though, so you don't want to use it anywhere cats will be (if you have cats).

there's enough stuff mice don't like when that cab is fully stocked that I won't worry about it. They got in other areas which I could screen tighter and have left out white vinegar that I refill. They hate that.
I put the bend back together as was. Once I played with the angle a bit it, the P, etc, pretty well. It's worked OK, just have to check more often.
Just need to re-seal it.
We don't drain grease at all. Perhaps it was coffee grounds. Usually I dump in compost, but sometimes .....

The way to keep mice out from under your cabinet is to keep mice out of the house.

Kill them before they get into the house.

Latest posts

Back