PEX to NPT fitting??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enduroman

Reaction score
I am plumbing my garage for a compressed air system using PEX. Is there such thing as a fitting that joins 1/2" PEX pipe to a 1/4" NPT quick air coupler? Fitting would need to be MALE on both ends. Where would I find such a thing? Thanks

Thanks. I've heard of a few people recently plumbing their garage that way for air. Any reason why one wouldn't? PEX is so cheap and easy to work with. ( and I have a bunch, and a drawer full of fittings ) Just need this fitting.

There is no reason (that I know of) not to plumb in PEX.

What is wrong with the drop ear shown earlier and a male coupling?

7980100-23.jpg

pex, max test pressure ratting is 100 psi

i think you need to regroup, and redress your plan, little bit maybe....you think ?
I have wondered about using PEX for compressed air as well. All the PEX I have is marked: 80PSI @ 200F, 100PSI @ 180F 160PSI @ 73F. With a 175PSI max compressor I didn’t feel like the pressure rating was high enough. It looks to me like the pressure rating goes down rapidly with temperature rise. What would happen in the summertime?

Any flexible pipe/tubing/hose used for permanent air piping would have to be installed in some way to prevent any sags between attachment points. Otherwise moisture will collect in the sags until it fills the pipe, and then be forced out to the tool by the moving air stream. If you could prevent the sags, or install it with enough slope that they wouldn't trap moisture then this negative could be overcome.

Also, one of the concerns with any plastic pipe is the effect the oil in the air has on the plastic over long-term exposure.

States right in the code that pex shall only be used for water service. Most compressed air installs I use black iron, dura-tec (low psi) and brazed copper.

Thanks for the comments. All good points.
I'll probably press forward with this if I can find an economical way to connect these couplers that I have. I'd love to do it the standard way with metal pipe but frankly it sounds expensive, and I don't have the tools or the time right now. I have all kinds of PEX and fittings laying around and a crimper and cutter.
If water, or oil, or temperature, or any other variable compromises my system, well then I'll have to redo it with metal at that time. Not a huge deal. Probably be in a better position for that later anyway.
Kultuz, there is nothing wrong with that drop ear, except that the air couplings I have are female. If I have to do it with two fittings, so be it.

Latest posts

Back