Pex sizes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegoguen

Reaction score
I have to gut my bathroom, my sink doesn’t have shut offs, it is pex line. When I measured the line it appears to 5/8 od, my local hardware store only carries 1/2 and 3/4 pex and shutoffs. Suggestions?

It is most likely 1/2" pex. If you just need to add shutoffs, and don't have pex tools, you can buy shark bite shutoffs that simply push on to the pex.

Please, don't do shark bite. The more I work with it the less I use it. Find a half inch PEX shutoff and crimp it with brass rings. Sharkbites are definitely for amateurs. Any professional worth his salt won't use a shark bite unless absolutely necessary.

I agree with Justin.....I have never used shark bites but have seen them fail....the brass crimp rings is what I have used.....I have about 200' in my basement ceiling very easy to use you can get the crimping tools any where check on line for different manufactures....I used mil3 they have been around for 30 years they warranty and repair their tools

It is most likely 1/2" pex. If you just need to add shutoffs, and don't have pex tools, you can buy shark bite shutoffs that simply push on to the pex.
Although it appears that pros don't like shark bite products, I've used them twice and had no issues.

Of course a brass ring crimp is the best but SharkBites are not junk. Most Professionals don't use them because they are crazy expensive.
Crimp valves are $7 SharkBites are $15. A decent crimp tool will be $80-100. The tool is a good investment for future plumbing work.

I agree with Justin.....I have never used shark bites but have seen them fail....the brass crimp rings is what I have used.....I have about 200' in my basement ceiling very easy to use you can get the crimping tools any where check on line for different manufactures....I used mil3 they have been around for 30 years they warranty and repair their tools
Not trying to start an argument about push fittings here. I am genuinely curious about specific failures because I have used them a number of times and never seen a failure. I recently found one buried in a 10 year old wall that had not failed (even after I had yanked on the pipe a few times)
The only failures I have read about are from O rings being cut on sharp edges and separation when a pipe froze.

Of course a brass ring crimp is the best but SharkBites are not junk. Most Professionals don't use them because they are crazy expensive.
Crimp valves are $7 SharkBites are $15. A decent crimp tool will be $80-100. The tool is a good investment for future plumbing work.
Up to and including 3/4" size , you can probably rent a PEX crimp too . I had to purchase a crimp to ( copper crimp rings ) because we used 1" to replace the water main and I could not fine a 1' tool . It has made a total of 2 crimps .

Best of luck to you , :)
Wyr
God bless

I have never seen nor heard of one failing either (other than some random and rare comment on the internet). They are too expensive for professional plumbers to use generally, but this is only because they've already purchased the $100 crimping tool, and once you invest in that, then yes crimping becomes less expensive. For a homeowner who only has to do a few connections, then push-to-connect are a relatively good deal. They are also better looking if the valve is visible. Supply valves are often in places that the crimping tool won't fit anyway. A cinch type tool might fit, but of course if anything will fit at all, then the push fitting will.

I have to gut my bathroom, my sink doesn’t have shut offs, it is pex line. When I measured the line it appears to 5/8 od, my local hardware store only carries 1/2 and 3/4 pex and shutoffs. Suggestions?

5/8 OD PEX pipe is 1/2" PEX. Virtually all end of run connections are going to be 1/2".

Not trying to start an argument about push fittings here. I am genuinely curious about specific failures because I have used them a number of times and never seen a failure. I recently found one buried in a 10 year old wall that had not failed (even after I had yanked on the pipe a few times)
The only failures I have read about are from O rings being cut on sharp edges and separation when a pipe froze.
no....no argument...everyone has opinions and experiences...that's what this forum is all about....like I said I did see one fail...I didn't install..could have been installed wrong
i don't think they are approved in mass.

I have seen every type of connection fail . S.B. , Compression, Solder, Expansion and Crimp. Advising a home owner replacing an angle stop with Pex pipe, I would have to suggest Push Fit Shark Bite. Make sure you measure how far the pipe has to enter the Shatk bite fitting. Also you will need a stainless steel insert that goes inside the pipe before you slip on the angle stop. I suggest you purchase the angle stop and SS insert from a Plumbing supply house like Ferguson.

You mentioned gutting your bathroom and the sink not having shut offs. Did the the person performing the demo cut the pex pipe? You should take a pic and upload. That way we can give you a solid suggestion.

It is possible to install a push connect fitting wrong, but there are fewer things that can go wrong than, say, copper solder. It's not rocket science, but still you have to get them right. If you're going to use PEX, you should have this tool.
http://www.sharkbite.com/sharkbite/wp-content/uploads/U702_3-1.jpg
It smooths the end of the pipe for a perfect fit, and also allows you to mark the depth that the fitting should go on. That way when you push it on, you know you've pushed it exactly the right amount.

You should also use the crimp gauge if you're using crimp fittings.
https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/crimpocket5.jpg
This will tell you if the ring has been crimped correctly.

This is an advantage of PEX over copper. No such tool exists to tell you you've got a perfect copper solder connection. So if you're going to use PEX, exploit the advantages of the technology correctly. It's easier to use, but you still have to do it right.

Back