Pex Install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrelmo

Reaction score
When doing new build and running 3/4 pex at what point do you reduce to 1/2 inch for stub outs, using uponor.

At each bathroom group, you can typically use 1/2" branches to feed each fixture.
We run a fully insulated 3/4" hot as a full loop all the way back to the WH and only do recirculated as a rule.
Beware, if you are not certified/trained to install Uponor, getting warranty is likely not in the cards.
I do not recommend manual tool at all. Only the powered tools that auto rotate the head should be used (in my learned opinion).

Thank you for the reply, I am aware of the rotating head, not to get off topic have you run into failed connections.

Always 3/4" before you split off 1/2" for the toilet, so get the toilet 1/2" line to a 3/4" trunk, or you can run 3/4" up to it, and split off for a sink or tub with a 3/4x1/2x1/2 tee.

Then it's nice to run 3/4" to a tub or shower before reducing to 1/2", but general rule of thumb is that 1/2" can feed two fixtures (besides toilets).

I've posted on this and other forums about Uponor tube failures that I helped the owner get a whole house repipe with wall patching to address the known mistake that Uponor has admitted to in manufacturing the colored tube.
I've alerted my prior installations to be vigilant in checking for leaks in colored tubes.

Attachments

• Pex split 1.jpg
    Pex split 1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 6
  • PEX split 2.jpg
    PEX split 2.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 6
Thank you Dave, breplum this is new to me can you point me to the mistake that uponor made that you are talking about much appreciated

So has the coloring issue been corrected and if so when, I guess the correct procedure is do not use the colored pipeing

Follow-up question to the OP…

If you were doing new construction OR a whole house repipe, would you make the 3/4”’s runs and branch 1/2”, 1/2” home runs to a manifold or 3/4” home runs from manifold to 1/2” branches at fixtures?

best practice?

Last edited:
I think 3/4 runs and branch 1/2, what I am presently looking at is a 900 sq ft cabin, well water, on demand hot water and a softner.

I've posted on this and other forums about Uponor tube failures that I helped the owner get a whole house repipe with wall patching to address the known mistake that Uponor has admitted to in manufacturing the colored tube.
I've alerted my prior installations to be vigilant in checking for leaks in colored tubes.
They now have switched to all white with either blue writing for cold or red writing for hot.

Latest posts

Back