PEX in a camper?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otahyoni

Reaction score
Ok all you experts, my turn...:D

I recently purchased a camper that wasn't winterized properly and the water lines burst. Right now they are some kind of semi-flexible gray plastic. If i can find the correct end fittings, can i use PEX in a mobile setting? Or is there something else you'd recommend?

I'll start posting pictures later as i tear into it...

If the pipe you have is gray chances are it's poly pipe. If that is the case PEX makes a coupling that uses crimp rings to go from poly to PEX. You can use the same crimping tool on both pex and ploy.

John

So you would recommend leaving short sections of the original pipe near the fittings and replacing the long runs with PEX?

I haven't put water in it yet, so i'm not 100% sure where it leaks... The PO said that they saw cracks and just never put water to it...

Theres probably 40-50' feet total between the hot and cold pipes. I don't think it'll be terrible hard to replumb the whole thing, just a little pricey...

I only saw one pipe cracked, but i can't see every inch.

I'm gonna wait a bit to do it, but i'll eventually just replace all the pipes. Need to fix the floor first...

If the pipe you have is gray chances are it's poly pipe. If that is the case PEX makes a coupling that uses crimp rings to go from poly to PEX. You can use the same crimping tool on both pex and ploy.

John

I saw the connectors you were talking about, but the local store only has them for 1/2" pipe. The camper runs 3/8" pipe.

we used to do a lot of polybutylene repairs. Can't get the pipe so we use Pex. It is the same O.D. and use John Guest fittings to connect the 2 together. They are a little bulky but no special crimp tools needed.

Those the push-to-connect fittings? Those are nice.....pricey, but nice. I got a lead on a guy that might send me most of or all the fittings ill need at cost cause he wants them gone... then i'll just need to find a crimper....damn they're expensive....!

Theres an idea. I was thinking about getting the crimp tool and crimp ring from our local Menards.

Something like this guy: Cinch Clamp For Pex at Menards
with these rings:Cinch Clamp For Pex at Menards

It says those pliers work for all the sizes of clamps, so that might prove useful in other projects if the rings give a good tight seal.

What do you think about this kind of PEX clamp ring?

Latest posts

Back