Pex Crimp Issue?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutch

Reaction score
Hi - needed to relocate some plumbing and it was really tight quarters as pex lines are in tight stud cavity with a small duct supply line. I didn’t get the best crimp and wondering a few things:
1) any issue with the crimp shown? Should I remove and redo it?
2) any issues with running so close to supply duct (can heat impact coupling or crimp)?
3) any concerns with the shark bite angle coming out of the second pic?

No leaks so far and they seem ok but could I have problem down the road?

thanks much - J

Attachments

• 721894AF-92DF-4A2F-B1DC-65963B945ED2.jpeg
    721894AF-92DF-4A2F-B1DC-65963B945ED2.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 77377A5C-40D4-4596-97FB-B2D4D2DD118F.jpeg
    77377A5C-40D4-4596-97FB-B2D4D2DD118F.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 23
If it’s in an easy enough spot you may as well do it over probably hold forever but if it doesn’t and your away it could be catastrophic I don’t use shark bite fittings so I done want to awnser that one

Not a perfect crimp but if it hasent leaked by now it likely won’t until inevitable corrosion takes place.

Same with the shark bite, it doesn’t appear to have too much stress on it. I personally am not a big fan of them so if it’s accessible I would replace it with a proper pex to copper connector

Thank you both! Pex to copper - do you mean a crimp connector? As opposed to shark bite

Thank you both! Pex to copper - do you mean a crimp connector? As opposed to shark bite
I’m guessing he means an adapter that you’d sweat on the existing copper and would have a barb for PEX crimp. Is that Sharkbite fitting accessible or will it be behind a finished wall?

Shark bite in ceiling and crimp near floor in wall. So all behind drywall. It’s cramped quarters as needed to attach the existing plumbing which was in ceiling to relocate for our remodel. Wasn’t a lot of room hence the awkward bend.

I agree , I would redo the double crimp . And replace the Sharkbite push fitting with a solder on elbow W/ what ever fittings are necessary to use a Sharkbite barb and crimp fitting . I would also try to get the PEX on that fitting in position where it is at a good angle and not " stretched " .

God bless
Wyr

Back