PEX brass vs. poly fittings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffnc

Reaction score
I'm going to replace some PEX plumbing joints in my crawlspace that apparently have suffered from zincification. I did not install this plumbing so I don't know what brand the fittings are, however I have installed PEX before and I have all the tools.

My questions are: is there a way to find the zinc content of brass fittings commonly available to me? So far, I haven't been able to look up this info. If I can verify that the zinc content is low enough, I feel better using brass than poly, but if I can't, I might rather use poly. I've avoided it in the past for no other reason than it seems cheaper to me, but if it works, it works. The problem though is the lower diameter inside the fitting. Does this actually cause a noticeable issue in practice, in terms of lower flow? That really wouldn't be acceptable. Thanks.

I will only use poly fittings except at threaded joints. The internal diameter of poly fittings and brass are the same.

The following is not true?

"Q: Poly vs. Brass PEX fittings – which are better?
A: Poly fittings cost less and have superior resistance to chemicals, dezincification and oxidation than brass fittings. The downside is that the inner diameter of poly-alloy PEX fittings is smaller then those of the brass and sweat adapters/elbows are not available."

https://www.pexuniverse.com/poly-pex-fittings

I had all copper in my house that I did years ago. I added a full bath in my basement and ran pex off of the copper
lines to the new bathroom and I have just as much water pressure there as I do through out the whole house. Before
I retired we were running a lot of pex for pipe replacements and had no problem with pressure or anything else. I always
used the plastic fittings. Only used copper to pex fittings when needed.

Latest posts

Back