persistently clogged toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwoodlee

Reaction score
Our home is a 1960s remodeled (not by us) ranch style home with a finished basement. recently moved in (6 months ago). The upstairs hall bathroom has a new toilet that has been clogging persistently since we moved in. The toilet will flush once correctly and may or may not take everything down with it. If you try to flush again immediately the toilet clogs worse. The water drains slowly but flushing anytime within, say 24 hours, causes water to back up again and not take the solids down with it. If left alone, usually flushing the next day will take it down, and if there have been no solids the toilet will flush correctly for days. Plunging does not solve the problem. There seems to be a low volume of water in the toilet in general. A plumber came out and used a tool and said the toilet is clear and he thinks it's a main line problem. I'm wondering about that because all the other upstairs toilets and sinks and tubs drain properly. We have had issue with the basement toilet and shower not draining properly and the plumber has always been able to clear the clog using a snake tool. I'm not sure if this is related? The plumber mentioned roots clogging the main line, but again does the description seem like a main line issue or something else. From my admittedly limited understanding of plumbing and main lines shouldn't all the toilets and sinks be clogged if it the main line? Thanks for any advice.

If you are not experiencing any other stoppage or gurgling sounds from other fixtures, the problem is at the toilet or just inside the toilet drain. Have the toilet pulled to check the toilet trap and the drain. He ( the plumber) should have pulled or offered to pull the toilet if the toilet would not flush proper and the other drains are draining fine. Did he check for proper water level in the tank & bowl?

Last edited:
Hi, thanks. No he did not check the toilet itself for water level. He also did not offer to pull the toilet. Thanks for the advice, I think I may need a different plumber.

Latest posts

Back