Permanent T-Handle water meter shutoff

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briantro

Reaction score
Every time I need to turn water off have to dig mud out of the box and can take some time to find valve. If an emergency not good. I trying to come up with a solution for a permanent handle. The tool has a U shape. I can not find a short enough one that can stay in the box. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Remove the mud, and place it in either a sprinkler valve box, or a PVC pipe, with a cap, so when you need to shut it off, you can do so quickly. Our valves in my neighborhood are extremely hard to turn, and you need the heavy duty key. My neighbor has it hung on the side of his house for anyone in the neighborhood who needs to shut off their water quickly.

Buy a cheap "vice grip" from Harbor Freight, or find an old one at a garage sale. Clamp it tight on the moving part; and when you think it's tight enough, use a wrench on the end to tighten it more and secure the mess with some heavy duty tie wraps.

Remove the mud, and place it in either a sprinkler valve box, or a PVC pipe, with a cap, so when you need to shut it off, you can do so quickly. Our valves in my neighborhood are extremely hard to turn, and you need the heavy duty key. My neighbor has it hung on the side of his house for anyone in the neighborhood who needs to shut off their water quickly.
👍👍👍

Back