Permanent fix for a small hole in gutter drain PVC pipe near the fitting without replacing pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vito333

Reaction score
My house was built 8 yrs ago and recently I noticed my pavers at one section of my side walkway sinking. When I removed the pavers I discovered that a leaking gutter drain pipe had washed out all the gravel under the pipe cause a large void under the pavers. Where the PVC pipe joins an elbow, there is a small hole where water is leaking,

How can I permanently fix this hole without removing the pipes? The attached picture was taken with a mirror showing the underside of the pipe. The wider view shows where I have place a red jar cap to detect if water was dripping and it was.

If the hole was in the middle of the pipe, I would simply glue a small section to cover it. The problem with the hole's location is that it is at the join and there is already cement that would make if difficult to butt a patch up against the edge if the elbow opening,

Would a large amount of a specific type of caulking or sealant suffice since there is no water pressure involved?

Attachments

• hole.JPG
    hole.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 0
  • overview.JPG
    overview.JPG
    638.2 KB · Views: 0
I just confirmed that the hole is only one of many in this perforated pipe. Is it incorrect to use perforated pipe for gutter drainage? Should be solid pipes with perforated pipes for drain tiles only?

That little hole is not what caused the gravel to wash away. The course gravel is there to facilitate drainage into the soil. Perforated pipe is often used for drainage provided it is installed over a rock bed. Solid pipe is used to transfer water from one place to another for collection or to discharge in a location distant from its origin.

JB Weld has an epoxy putty made for plastic that you can use to close the hole. It's a putty called JB Plastic Weld Epoxy Putty (Item 8237) You make a clump of it and shape it like Play Dough and press it around the hole. I've used it on PVC, ABS & whatever the plastic is from which car bumpers are made. You can feather the edeges so there is no lip to catch debris, as there would be with an inside patch.

The JB material expands & contracts with temperature changes, so it won't pop off.Clean & scuff sand the plastic first. Wear plastic gloves so the odor doesn't get on your hands. It stays for days.

There are also roof & pipe repair tapes, such as Patch and Seal brand. Maybe window flashing tape would work, too.

Plan B: If you can get a patch in there or on the bottom, a piece of just about any plastic except HDPE or nylon "glued" on with acetone will work. The plastic that water bottles are made of (PETE) has worked for me in the past. Look in the recycle arrows symbol on the bottle for a Number 1.
You have to use regular acetone. Nail polish remover, although acetone based, has oils, water and fragrances added. It won't melt the plastics.

To avoid working with acetone, there are epoxy liquid glues for plastic that you can use to glue on a patch. I don't know how well they work.

Worst Case: Fiberglass resin & cloth car body repair material ($$). Or- Body Repair Putty that is made for plastic bumpers ($$$)

Hope This Helps!
Paul

PS: Wear a well fitting respirator with the proper cartridges when working with acetone and the body filler materials.

That little hole is not what caused the gravel to wash away. The course gravel is there to facilitate drainage into the soil. Perforated pipe is often used for drainage provided it is installed over a rock bed. Solid pipe is used to transfer water from one place to another for collection or to discharge in a location distant from its origin.

I watched some youtube videos warning not to use perforated pipe for gutter downspouts as it makes no sense to disperse water around the foundation since the point of the pipe is to carry gutter water away. From what I understand, perforated pipe is used to carry away excess water that is in the ground, but not coming from gutters. I believe the two should be independent systems.

I watched some youtube videos warning not to use perforated pipe for gutter downspouts as it makes no sense to disperse water around the foundation since the point of the pipe is to carry gutter water away. From what I understand, perforated pipe is used to carry away excess water that is in the ground, but not coming from gutters. I believe the two should be independent systems.
Yes, that is correct. As I said in my reply, solid pipe is used to transfer water from one place to another. I had assumed that this pipe was not adjacent to your foundation, but in an area that the builder was using as a "French drain", hence the course gravel under the pipe. If this pipe is transporting the water from the downspouts and discharging it to a remote splash block, then yes, it should have been solid pipe. And if it is located immediately adjacent to your foundation, then it also should have been solid pipe.

Back