Perimeter drain major problem: HELP!!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biff

Reaction score
Just bought a house and the building inspector did not check the perimeter drains. I should have checked myself.

It turns out they all they are all more or less plugged, with water only barely going down. I live in an area where LOTS of fir tree bits go down from the roof (needles, especially) and into the perimeter drains, and they have accumulated at the opening just under ground level. I had a company check it out, but there was no where they could get their scope/camera in to see the extent of pluggage.

Given other things, it appears the previous owner never tended to drains or the roof.

The company that did the scoping gave me an estimate of $40,000 for "complete Perimeter Drain replacement. Excavate around entire house, down to the footings. Clean and damp-proof foundation walls. Remove necessary concrete. Install a two pipe perimeter system. Backfill excavated area with clean gravel and native soil. Replace concrete, clean up and remove excess fill. Due to the complexity if this replacement, may employ the use of pipe-bursting or pipe-lining during the replacement where we deem it possible and within code guidelines."

Advice? Is there a way to pump out the crud that has accumulated, and then try to flush it out? Truth is, I can't afford the $40k.

Thanks for any help.

Just thinking . . . because I know what has plugged up the lines (years of accumulating, rotting fir needles), is there any way to pump out this crud?

Anyone ever used this a possibility?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a contractor is providing himself a real nice job. Get a few quotes since that seems awfully expensive. I would also try other methods, such as a commercial pumper.

It MIGHT be possible to jet it in short sections to loosen it up, and then use a vac truck to suck it out. If the only other alternative is $40,000, it is worth a try.

Materials for a job like that is less then 1000$ at Home Depot prices, it can be done for far less then that last one I did was like 5800$. That was removing old clay tile installing new perforated PVC pipe.

It can be possible to flush it out but can also be costly depending on what the drain tile is made out of. The cheapest way is either hand dig it or rent a small escavtor and do it your self.

Yes get a few estimates, then price it out doing it your self.

There is no way I would pay that. About four years ago I discovered water in my crawl space. This house is about forty years old and had concrete drainage tiles all around it and the downspouts poured into the perimeter drains. I hired Roto-rooter to run their augur through one side of the house where the flooding appeared to be coming from. This was largely ineffectual. When the weather improved I dug out the perimeter drain on this side of the house by hand. It was still plugged despite the efforts of Roto-rooter.

I replaced the concrete tiles with modern plastic tiles and built a rock well in the back yard to allow water to run off this side of the house. This was done by hand digging, etc. I took out all bushes and trees that were growing around the side of the house and diverted all roof drains away from the perimeter drain. Roof water does not empty into the perimeter drains any more and I do not water anything around the foundations of the house because I removed all shrubbery. I do have some large ceramic pots so that flowers, etc. can be placed around the house.

This house is located on a grade and its north west corner is at the higher end of the grade and this is where water accumulated during the winter. It was not severe [water spread about a square metre usually but of course I did not want standing water in the crawl space].

I did not do all of the perimeter drains, only the ones on the north west corner of the house. I did not treat the foundation cement with anything.

I am not a plumber or tradesman, just a retired elementary schoolteacher.

So far I am not getting water in the crawl space. I only tell you my story because I think a forty thou estimate is far too much.

Thanks everyone--these suggestions and stories help. I may try to see if there is anyone in the business who can try to pump some of the crud out that I detect, and they try to back-router some of it, and then try to push some through onto the main system outside of the property.

Any of this make sense?

Back