Pentair Fleck 5810 vs 5800 vs Hydrotech (Canature?) 165

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanni

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Pentair Fleck 5810 SXT water softener, which I had installed about 5 years ago, stopped working as it got stuck in a drain cycle. Upon doing some research and opening the valve to inspect the piston (pictures here), I figured that I have to buy a piston, seal, and spacer kit and replace those parts. I called around a bunch of local and online dealers and found prices ranging from $55 to $200. I also contacted my original dealer who I purchased my 5810 softener from and he got back to me with some alternate offers. The 5810 is now discontinued, my warranty is up anyway, but he wants to help. He no longer carries Pentair and deals with Hydrotech (Canature?) now.

I have 3 options:

1) Replace my 5810 softener's piston, seal, and spacer by myself for $55+tax.

2) Original dealer replaces my 5810 with a Pentair Fleck 5800 with a new 5-year warranty. He'll be getting 60% of the value of my 5810 back from Pentair. My total cost = $100 cash all-in.

3) Original dealer replaces my 5810 with a Hydrotech 165 with a new 5-year warranty. My total cost = $100 cash all-in.

It is very hard to find reviews of these different softener companies and models. If you guys have any advice on which I should go with, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

If it worked fine up till now, why not spend $100 and get a new Fleck 5800 w/5 yr warranty? Sure wouldn't spend $55 on a repair when for less than $45 more you could get a new machine with warranty.
Yeah, that's my plan now. Just wasn't sure how the 5800 compared to the 65 series from Hydrotech/Canature (sold as 565, 765 on their website, or as a 165 from my dealer). My confusion mainly lies in the comparison between the two. My dealer says the Hydrotech 65's better. The problem is he's the only one saying that.

From what little info I've been able to find out from calling around, the 5800 is still better, even if it may also be discontinued like my current 5810 has been.

Yeah, that's my plan now. Just wasn't sure how the 5800 compared to the 65 series from Hydrotech/Canature (sold as 565, 765 on their website, or as a 165 from my dealer). My confusion mainly lies in the comparison between the two. My dealer says the Hydrotech 65's better. The problem is he's the only one saying that.

From what little info I've been able to find out from calling around, the 5800 is still better, even if it may also be discontinued like my current 5810 has been.
For what it's worth, I have 2 Canature 565 valves....one on a softener and one on a Katalox Light backwash filter and both have worked flawlessly for 7 years

For what it's worth, I have 2 Canature 565 valves....one on a softener and one on a Katalox Light backwash filter and both have worked flawlessly for 7 years
Thank you for this. First person other than a dealer who's given me some personal feedback on one of these softeners!

I believe the 165 that my dealer is installing is equivalent to the 765, which is a lower tier to the 565 (yes, it's contrary to what the model numbers would lead one to think).

My dealer is giving me a 5 year warranty on both the Fleck 5800 and Hydrotech 165. No warranty on the electronics of the 5800. And only 1 year labor warranty on the 5800 vs 2 years on the 165.

Based on my talks with a bunch of softener dealers, I'm still lead to believe the 5800 is the higher end model. So I've told my dealer to go ahead and order that.

Hopefully it all works out.

Back