partial pipe joint glued

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snucky

Reaction score
Hi, on my final fitting, I couldn't connect the pipe and fitting the whole 1-1/2". I measured and I got 1-1/8" of the 1-1/2" that the fitting allowed. Is it safe to leave it as is or do I have to tear this whole thing up again?

nope, the fitting is leaking - it's a tiny amount of leakage but still unacceptable. Too bad, because I'm going to have to cut the drainage system in three places and go back to the hardware store...

you glued it improperly then. Are we talking aBS or Pvc?? if you know the length of your pipe piece then you can determine the amount the fitting is "engaged" if you say you got 11/8 ( 3/8 shy of complete engagement ) if glued properly it should not leak, though it is obviously more desireablle to have complete engagement.

make sure you apply glue to both the fitting and the pipe, often overlooked but important is the face of the pipe ( the piece that goes into the fitting or the O as you look down the pipe ) this is the first place where water must penatrate to start a fitting leaking. if you are using pvc, then make sure to prime both pipe and fitting also and glue them while the fitting is still slightly wet from the primer, always glue the peices together with a twisting motion, this ensures that there is not a spot where you havnt gotted sufficiant glue, and If your gluing pvc you will need to hold the pieces together for 60 seconds or so to make sure they dint press themselves apart due to the chemical reation taking place. Test vigorouslly and bang the pipes around ( i use the rubber end of my hammer ) to stress them, the idea is that you want the pipes to see more stress than they ever possiblly could in service... this ensures no problem down the road.

Back