Paper towels and an ejection pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tollhaus

Reaction score
I learned yesterday that one of my son's friends clogged our basement toilet with paper towels a week ago. We have a typical 5x7 full bath in the basement -- one sink, one toilet, and a shower. It's below the main drain from the house, so we have a pump in a pit behind the wet wall. I've never had one of these before and want to ask if there's anything I should be concerned about. I was able to pull about 4 of the paper towels out of the toilet, but I'm sure there are more in there. I plunged it a bunch of times and the toilet flushes freely now, likely meaning at least a couple of paper towels flowed downstream to the pit with a pump. The pump has worked several times since then.

Is there anything I should worry about in the future? And is there anything I can do myself? Should I open the lid on the pit and see if there's anything to fish out? If so, what product is recommended to seal it up when I put the lid back on? I believe the plumber who installed the pump put a bead of sealant around the edge of the pit prior to sealing the pit.

This the pump (or very similar model) that we have in the basement:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoeller-267-0001-Waste-Mate-Sewage-Horsepower/dp/B003Y5F7J2/

It would behoove you to take a look to retrieve what you can. It will be an awful experience.
Silicone caulk maybe after you remove the old.
There exist 'grinder' pumps but most homes do not have that upgraded expense.

And, absolutely ban diaper-wipes. Even if you have a grinder type pump, it will not handle diaper wipes. If hte grinder is the least bit dull the polyester felt stretches into threads which wrap around the pump shaft, and break the water tight seal, allowing effluent into the motor.

I hate diaper wipes.

Zoellers are some of the best. I have pulled some that were 20+ years old cleared floats or other minor maintenance and put them right back in service very well built. It's a good idea to check the float and make sure nothing is hanging up on it once a year or so. Also it's good insurance to have a high level alarm.

It would behoove you to take a look to retrieve what you can. It will be an awful experience.
Silicone caulk maybe after you remove the old.
There exist 'grinder' pumps but most homes do not have that upgraded expense.
Thanks for encouraging me to do it. I had a plumber do it while he was working on a few other things. There were about 6 paper towels in the pit.

Attachments

• IMG_20230308_100241.jpg
    IMG_20230308_100241.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230308_100247.jpg
    IMG_20230308_100247.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
Zoellers are some of the best. I have pulled some that were 20+ years old cleared floats or other minor maintenance and put them right back in service very well built. It's a good idea to check the float and make sure nothing is hanging up on it once a year or so. Also it's good insurance to have a high level alarm.
Recommendation for a high-level alarm? What exactly do I need to buy?

There are so many options out there but for simplicity I would suggest either a little giant hw9 or a saniflo 50. Both are battery powered. Saniflo would be the easiest to put in(just drill hole in top of basin and drop in place) but the level is not adjustable it's really designed for saniflo pumps.

I retract the saniflo suggestion it will be above your in-line and you will want to know of a problem before that for sure.

There’s a septic supply company online that sells high water alarms and junk like that.

Latest posts

Back