Paper like material in shower drain on the day following use

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystal654

Reaction score
For months, my mother and I thought it was the other one of us leaving a messy looking attempt at cleaning the hair out of the shower drain with toilet paper. We talked about it last night to discover neither of us was doing this. So, after the shower is used, the next day, when everything is dry, white toilet paper like material is laying on the drain. This is an apartment in a 2 apt home. There has been no change to anything we’re aware of to cause this. A while ago, the landlord gave my mother some caulk to go over edges because she had a leak downstairs and suspected it was from our plumbing above her, which it turned out not to be. Can anyone please tell us what this is?

No. I had to use liquid plumber and there was no sort of soap used. When it was all rinsed out and dry the next morning, it still showed up.

The landlord needs to have the sewer and/or house drain lines snaked out.
A toilet drain line is slightly backing up into your shower.
The shower is the lowest fixture, so backed up drainage is escaping into there.
Looks like only a mild backup now, but without intervention, you will have poop water running out of the shower drain into your bathroom someday.

The landlord needs to have the sewer and/or house drain lines snaked out.
A toilet drain line is slightly backing up into your shower.
The shower is the lowest fixture, so backed up drainage is escaping into there.
Looks like only a mild backup now, but without intervention, you will have poop water running out of the shower drain into your bathroom someday.
It’s not backing up from the toilet

Sorry for offending you.
This is a plumbing forum, and we are used to seeing and making silly goofy jokes about toilets, poop, or other juvenile subjects like that.
It comes with the territory.
And we tease and rib each other, sometimes little feuds start and blow over, nothing is ever taken seriously, but the main intent is to advise or analyze about plumbing problems or related issues.
No harm is intended, and I hope you solve your plumbing mystery.

Best and last guess >>> a hair product ( conditioner ? ) that is congealing "on top" of the screen shown in the picture.
Another "unsolved mystery".

Best and last guess >>> a hair product ( conditioner ? ) that is congealing "on top" of the screen shown in the picture.
Another "unsolved mystery".
I have seen some crazy stuff in my drains from my Wife and Daughter... You could be correct sarg!!!

Even some deodorants have some white residue...

Back