P-trap slip nut slightly damp after disassembly/cleaning

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always use pipe dope on the chrome fittings. Put it on before the gasket. It slides on better and seals better.
When I was an apprentice the master plumber would raise hell with us if we didn't. Don't use on the plastic
unless I have a problem. Wipe it off with a rag and you never know its there.
Exactly. I was trained by plumbers who started in the 70s. They knew how to plumb and do it right. I did everything they knew except wipe a lead joint.

Exactly. I was trained by plumbers who started in the 70s. They knew how to plumb and do it right. I did everything they knew except wipe a lead joint.
are we talking tradition., or an actual engineered or logic behind it? Many pipe dopes are adhesive., So yes it initially lubricates when assembling., it makes it harder to disassemble. Because some are adhesive., and some dries., or have a soft set.
In the grand scheme this is a minor thing...
I'm saying a product specifically designed to STAY as a lubricant to prevent sticking together on flanges and threads for things that will later be dissassembled would be Food grade anti seize....

Smarter ways. Many times I had to brush the old dried up pipe dope off of threads to reuse. Try some anti seize....
We probably beat this topic to death
o_O

Attachments

• food grade anti seize.jpg
    food grade anti seize.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
are we talking tradition., or an actual engineered or logic behind it? Many pipe dopes are adhesive., So yes it initially lubricates when assembling., it makes it harder to disassemble. Because some are adhesive., and some dries., or have a soft set.
In the grand scheme this is a minor thing...
I'm saying a product specifically designed to STAY as a lubricant to prevent sticking together on flanges and threads for things that will later be dissassembled would be Food grade anti seize....

Smarter ways. Many times I had to brush the old dried up pipe dope off of threads to reuse. Try some anti seize....
We probably beat this topic to death
o_O
Well thank you for sharing. You have your ways I have mine. Never had a problem in my 25+ years and will continue to not have problems in my next 20. Well except possibly my health.

Well thank you for sharing. You have your ways I have mine. Never had a problem in my 25+ years and will continue to not have problems in my next 20. Well except possibly my health.
The service plumbers are normally the ones that would see the effects and not the installers...
So yeah, you wouldn't see any problems from your house.

The service plumbers are normally the ones that would see the effects and not the installers...
So yeah, you wouldn't see any problems from your house.
That's mostly what I've done in plumbing. Some new commercial but mostly service. Still haven't seen a problem.

Just use mustard or mayo……or both.
LOL! Did you see my first response? "I've started using Pam spray," which is no joke. I want lubrication and I want gaskets to seal on their own whenever possible.

Note you're the one that changed me. I was using petroleum jelly until you noted there could be issues with it and plastic piping.

LOL! Did you see my first response? "I've started using Pam spray," which is no joke. I want lubrication and I want gaskets to seal on their own whenever possible.

Note you're the one that changed me. I was using petroleum jelly until you noted there could be issues with it and plastic piping.
Now thats hilarious pam spray?
You remind me of a time a free spirited person made me use virgin olive oil on her o rings instead of the food grade anti seize...
And it was also recommended by the manufacturer for either....

Pam spray... i may try that just to see peoples reaction

would ky jelly be safer?

What kind of pipe dope do you use? I use a pipe dope that has cream teflon in it. You could be right though.

I use to use rectorseal now liquid teflon.

Garlic flavored olive oil. Goes well with galvy and black iron fittings.

Do you eat it with a fork or chopsticks?
I take whole garlic and drizzle it with olive oil and wrap it in foil then put it on my grill. After about 30-40 minutes it’s ready to squeeze out onto a plate and cover with more olive oil and mix. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.

Get French bread and slice it open and brush with butter then grate Parmesan cheese over the top and toast it.

Use the garlic spread you made to dip the bread into.

I take whole garlic and drizzle it with olive oil and wrap it in foil then put it on my grill. After about 30-40 minutes it’s ready to squeeze out onto a plate and cover with more olive oil and mix. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.

Get French bread and slice it open and brush with butter then grate Parmesan cheese over the top and toast it.

Use the garlic spread you made to dip the bread into.

Attachments

• 20230227_193240.jpg
    20230227_193240.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 0
Back