P-Trap Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scyalata

Reaction score
I had a slow leak in my P-Trap that my wife didn't tell me about for around 2 years now. Yesterday it got worse, so when I noticed it decided to do some research and fix it myself.

I went and bought a new T connector to tie in my garbage disposal and left sink drain. I then attached a new P-trap with all new washers and nuts. When the water is running there is no issue. However, when I turn the water off it will bubble out the same connection that was leaking before (shown in attachment). It is not a horrible leak but enough to bother me.

I installed the P-trap in the same direction it was when I took it off. I am wondering what could be going wrong and if someone can tell me if the direction of the P-Trap is correct? Most videos I have been watching on youtube show the short end of the P-Trap connecting to the outlet pipe. The sink that is currently installed was done by the previous owner and is a bit deeper than most sinks. I have a fair amount of slope running from the garbage disposal to the T but am worried there is some sort of height issue because the deeper sink pushed everything down but the outlet pipe?

As you can probably tell I am not a plumber so any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Most of the plumbers in the area I live are pretty expensive and I feel like this should be an easy fix. My dad told me to put silicone around the joint that is leaking or use loctite tape on the threads. I have no problem doing this but want to make sure my set up is up to code and in proper working order.

20120723_192436.jpg

The trap is on backwards. I can't tell if you have the height to correct because you picture doesn't show the attachment to the disposal. If you can post a picture showing the entire set up.

John

Thats the way the trap was put on initially, I will post a picture later when I get home from work. appreciate the reply.

Looks like you may have the 90 drop on the disposale. If so take it off get a double end flanged tail pc. Come strait off the disposale into the tee then flip the trap around.

Back