P trap installation woes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerpGal02

Reaction score
I am attempting to install a new p trap under my bathroom vanity. The pervious parts have basically completely corroded through and we went and purchased new plastic parts. The old ones were chrome. The waste arm on the replacement set is one of the long ones that slides into the drain. The problem. We are running into is that once the actual trap is installed, it comes out about half an inch forward too far to properly align with the tailpiece

The old set up there was a metal 90 degree elbow installed onto the main drain to which the trap was installed. With this set up everything aligned perfectly. The problem we are facing is that it appears when joining the trap and the elbow, it's 2 threaded ends trying to go together which does not work. I will attach a pic. Anyone know how to attach these 2 things. Otherwise like I said the trap shoot about 1/2 an inch forward of where the tailpiece is.20220131_220621.jpg

Here’s a 1.5” one. You can use the old threaded weir.

If it’s 1.25” get a 1.25” one.

Here’s a 1.5” one. You can use the old threaded weir.

If it’s 1.25” get a 1.25” one.
Ty I will look at getting one of those. The old elbow unfortunately has a hole in it too. You just can't see it in this pic, it's on the other side

This is a really interesting thread. It never crossed my mind that you could even purchase metal P traps. It looks like the benefit of a metal P trap (Or 500 as Twowaxhack calls them since the popular one seems to be one made by ProFlo called 500), is that they have a clean out trap at the bottom that unscrews. That being said, If I had to use a metal one, I would want just solid bronze or solid brass and not one that has chrome finish as the chrome finish will likely fail depending on conditions and quality of finish. Just give me solid brass or bronze.

Back