Outside Gas Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossA

Reaction score
I want to run galvanized pipe from the natural gas meter at the front of my house around the back to hook it up to two appliances.
First, I want a tap that I can come off of to power a gas grill.
Second, farther down the pipe run I want a second tap to power a portable generator in case of emergencies.
Is 1/2” pipe sufficient? Should I go to 1”?

Just remember, if you have a tri-power generator, upsize your watts, because there is a noticeable decline in power when using NG versus gasoline.

Just remember, if you have a tri-power generator, upsize your watts, because there is a noticeable decline in power when using NG versus gasoline.
Good point. I want to be sure to have tri power because we tend to have hurricanes here. Longest we were without power was 13 days in 2008.
If the gas cans and propane tanks run out, I want options.

Without the specifics of gas pressure, length of the run, actual btu ratings an answer is limited to go with 1”pipe if you are not going over 80‘ and 3/4“ if you are not going over 40’. I would not put 1/2” pipe in for any fixture unless you were within 15‘ and you were coming off a run. Gas pipe should always be sized so that only 80 percent of the available btu are being used at maximum output, aka everything running at once. Most utilities do not allow galvanized pipe and require black iron or CSST.

Without the specifics of gas pressure, length of the run, actual btu ratings an answer is limited to go with 1”pipe if you are not going over 80‘ and 3/4“ if you are not going over 40’. I would not put 1/2” pipe in for any fixture unless you were within 15‘ and you were coming off a run. Gas pipe should always be sized so that only 80 percent of the available btu are being used at maximum output, aka everything running at once. Most utilities do not allow galvanized pipe and require black iron or CSST.
I suspect that the run will be about 40 feet to the first tap for the grill, and another 30 feet or so to the end and second tap for the generator.
The master plumber who will inspect everything and tie it in to the gas supply says that I need to use galvanized since it will be on an outside wall.

That’s why I am having a master plumber check the work and hook everything up. I can safely do a lot, but I don’t want to go beyond my limits.

No, the size of the pipe is determined by how much pressure the line will have vs the demand and it’s over all developed length.

Without knowing the pressure of the supply and the pressure requirements of the equipment It’s a guess

Last edited:
No, the size of the pipe is determined by how much pressure the line will have vs the demand and it’s over all developed length.

Without knowing the pressure of the supply and the pressure requirements of the equipment It’s a guess
I would think that a standard city natural gas supply would be pretty well known, wouldn’t it? Or does it vary that much from city to city?

I would think that a standard city natural gas supply would be pretty well known, wouldn’t it? Or does it vary that much from city to city?
It can vary from place to place. It’s typically 7-8” W.C. Or could be a 2lb system with step down regulators at each appliance. Some providers even offer hybrid systems that use both.

It just depends on what offered and what you have.

Give me the length of run, fittings needed to achieve the run, starting pressure, type pipe material used and how many BTU’s the appliances demand and I can guarantee it works.

FWIW, during the recent invasive damage to buried gas lines by Spectrum’s contractors in my neighborhood I got to chatting with the gas line workers making the repairs.

Here in our neighborhood the gas line to the home is 1”, and it’s 55 PSI. The regulator at the meter brings it to 2 PSI. They said they cannot have more than 2 PSI inside the home. When inside there’s a manifold with tees at 2 PSI as well as another regulator bringing it down to 1 PSI, and more tees. Some devices are fed 2, some 1. Every device in the home has a separate external regulator…in addition to the one inside the unit.

Back