Outside faucet knocking sound

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Burrill

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 x external frost-free spigots / hydrants outside my home, but only one is having this problem:

At about medium pressure I hear this horrible fast-knocking noise, which you can hear inside the house, scaring my wife to death. I thought it was just air in the line? But it doesn't stop unless I turn it on higher or lower.

I heard it may be a bad washer at the end of the silcock, but I'm not sure. I can post a video with audio if it will help.

I just replaced both vacuum breaker components as they were leaking on both facuets, but this didn't solve the knocking issue.

RB

If you know how to take it apart then do so. The screw that holds the washer on the end of the stem is
probably loose. You can replace the washer at this time or just tighten it up. Let us know what you find.

If you know how to take it apart then do so. The screw that holds the washer on the end of the stem is
probably loose. You can replace the washer at this time or just tighten it up. Let us know what you find.

Thanks! I'm a little nervous about removing the stem, but I've YouTubed some folks who have done it, and it doesn't seem THAT bad. Will report back, thanks!

Could be the water lines under the house knocking as well. If what you've been advised doesn't work. That'd be my next guess.

Latest posts

Back