Outside faucet help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocean56

Reaction score
I screwed a brass fitting from the end of my hose reel on an outside faucet (it's very old, have no idea what kind of metal it is).

I can NOT get the fitting off!! I'm afraid I'll break off the spigot trying to do so!

Do I have to heat it? I've NEVER had this issue before!!!

There's a rubber washer which will melt if you heat it too much. But heat or penetrating oil could work but if those don't you may just have to reef on it and be prepared for the worst. Not much else you can as far as I know

Sounds like you are trying to remove a hose bibb vacuum breaker/backflow preventer. If so the hose bibb VB/BFP has a breakaway set screw that helps hold it in place, you can try to carefully drill the set screw out but you might have to replace the hose bibb. Post a couple of photos of needed repair.

OK, i'm going to attach a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

P6080006.jpg

Well, that's the problem. I've locked a pair of vise grips on it, and it WILL NOT turn.

Have you tried a good penetrating oil, such as PBlaster? Let it soak overnight and use your fingers to remove it tomorrow. OK, the last part is a joke, but a simple pair of channel locks afterwards should do the trick.

How about a pipe wrench and a large adjustable wrench. Use the adjustable to hold the bob and the pipe wrench on the fitting. If that doesn't work I say you are doomed.

If all else fails use a hacksaw on the hose fitting. Make a cut through the section that's attached to the faucet. Don't cut into the faucet. Then use a screwdriver or small chisel to peal the brass section off.

Back