Outdoor spiget leaking from top

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man

Reaction score
I have a wolverine brass outdoor spigot. When i turned on the water for the season, it was leaking from the top valve. I replaced the vacuum breaker with an authentic vacuum breaker for the same company from plumbmaster. The degree of the leak improved significantly, however is still present. The water comes straight up the center of the vacuum breaker. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

Yes, as soon as i open the faucet, it leaks from the top vacuum breaker, right thru the center of the white plastic part.

Is your hose running full blast when this happens? Not running at all? Partially throttled (with a sprinkler or garden hose sprayer)?

It doesn't seem to matter I believe. I attach a splitter to the spigot, one side to garden hose, one side to irrigation system. However even with the faucet open but garden hose and irrigation off, it still leaks.

Could be the parts are defective or installed improperly, no offense intended.

Or

The valve body has been damaged some how or a defect.

You’ll need to remove the parts, inspect and then reinstall.

That’s how I’d proceed.

I have a wolverine brass outdoor spigot. When i turned on the water for the season, it was leaking from the top valve. I replaced the vacuum breaker with an authentic vacuum breaker for the same company from plumbmaster. The degree of the leak improved significantly, however is still present. The water comes straight up the center of the vacuum breaker. Can anyone advise? Thanks.
Can you get parts directly from wolverine brass alot of times the off brand replacement parts don't work

Did you leave something attached to the faucet threads last fall or winter, during freezing temps?

Anything blocking complete faucet drainage during a freeze will ruin the vacuum breaker, or rupture the faucet shaft, or ruin the sealing washer, etc.
The faucet is designed to be frost proof only if dry inside.

If so, as Twowax said, the whole spigot might be deformed now.

Or could be operator error, bad parts, but I would stop screwing around and just change the whole spigot.

Thanks everybody. I got the authentic part directly from their reseller. I have turned on the water with the new part in and the cap off, and notice that the water is leaking straight through the middle of the vacuum breaker where the piston sits. Again it is a much smaller amount of water than prior to replacement. I did turn off the water and drain completely prior to the winter. Does my observation of where the water is leaking through suggest to anyone the cause? Thanks.

Given it is 2 pieces and fairly straight forward I doubt installation error.

Do you have it sitting plumb, level, and, square (so to speak)? Upright?

If your water pressure is within limits then it’s a defective part. If it leaks with replacements then it’s a defective design or batch of parts

Back