Outdoor Faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonstar

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a newbie at plumbing.

I have an old outdoor faucet that drips around the stem (?). I was wondering what the proper way to go about it is? I tried turning the stem part but worried I would break it.

I have attached a video and photo.

Thank you everyone!

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_4899.MOV
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_4899.JPEG
    IMG_4899.JPEG
    787.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4901.JPEG
    IMG_4901.JPEG
    744.3 KB · Views: 16
This is a job for two wrenches...often you can tighten the outer nut if you are holding onto the body of the faucet with another wrench. But, those look old, and it may only be a temporary fix. The packing/washer/seals may be shot and it may be time to replace them, or the entire faucet.

Don't know what your codes are in the great white north, but your faucet is missing the obligatory vacuum breaker.

Thanks Mitchell.

I am happy to replace the whole faucet! This is an old house that I moved into so have been slowly updating.

Am I right that to remove the entire faucet, the place to try to unscrew is the connection between the supply line and the connection point (not sure of name). Basically beyond the nut.

You showed one video (which I'm not able to view) and two photos. The photos are of different faucets of seemingly identical make.

The way these are connected is that ½" copper tubing is soldered into the ½" threaded connection; you can see that on the second photo. I don't like doing things like this but it's perfectly acceptable.
On the first faucet you'll need to get to the back of the tube feeding the faucet, and probably cut it and splice a new assembly in place. On the second one, you can probably unsolder it, carefully wipe down the soldered tube while still hot, and solder a new faucet (more correctly, a "Bibb") in place. It's more involved than unscrewing.

It should go without saying that you'll need to shut off the water. If you haven't soldered plumbing tubing before, may be a bit of a challenge for you since you may not have the tools. Plenty of how-to videos on YouTube, etc.

Since you are in Toronto, you may want to consider "frost proof hose bibbs" with built in vacuum breakers. If you are crafty, you can carefully set up the install such that the new assembly screws into a fitting. Then, if you need to replace it ever, just unscrew the whole thing.

http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_index.asp?page_id=36361269
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/aq...quarter-turn-anti-siphon/1001382668?rrec=true

Thanks Mitchell.

I am happy to replace the whole faucet! This is an old house that I moved into so have been slowly updating.

Am I right that to remove the entire faucet, the place to try to unscrew is the connection between the supply line and the connection point (not sure of name). Basically beyond the nut.

no, you’ll twist you copper off in the wall. That is soldered onto the pipe.

There’s most likely an o ring that needs replacing inside the faucet on the stem.

Turn water off
Hold main part of valve with pliers
Turn nut behind the handle counterclockwise
Then then the handle counterclockwise to remove the stem.

Don’t let the valve body twist,you’ll ruin your copper in the wall.

Thanks for everything. Is the image below with my terrible writing correct? Good eye on the two photos. I put in the additional photo as you can see the entire faucet better. The first photo comes out of the wall so the visual isn't as good. They are both connected to the same line, except the first photo is the faucet that is accessible from my front yard while the other is in the garage. The shut off to the outside is in the garage; the shut off to the garage is in the basement.

InkedIMG_4899_LI.jpg

EDIT: My main goal is to get it stop leaking this season, survive the winter, and think about how to modernize it next spring!

Last edited:
So, it has taken a year for me to finally try this out. And I just removed one of the nuts but I can't access the o-ring to replace it. See photo.

I removed the handle and the nut which revealed the part that you see. However, when I try to pull it out, it doesn't come out. I can wiggle it and I see the o-ring, but it does not fully remove.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
The rubber has probably swelled up.

Put the handle back on it so you can grab it. Then wiggle it around until it comes out.

Thanks for the fast response. Is the threaded bronze part supposed to come out entirely?

EDIT - Sorry, when you say "handle", do you mean the handle to turn the water on and off - or were you referring to the part that I twisted?

Twowaxhack: Thanks for the knowledge. I have successfully removed it (though a screw may have got stuck in the pipe). Is the move now to source new washer/o-rings? Or do you think I can find an easy replacement for the entire faucet?

I imagine the screw that I lost is what attaches the washer/o-ring to the end of the faucet.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 14
So, it has taken a year for me to finally try this out. And I just removed one of the nuts but I can't access the o-ring to replace it. See photo.

I removed the handle and the nut which revealed the part that you see. However, when I try to pull it out, it doesn't come out. I can wiggle it and I see the o-ring, but it does not fully remove.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
Glad that with twowax's help you could do it. I noticed that you have one of those self folding "silver bullet extreme better than sliced bread" hoses that Tim the Tool Man Taylor's sidekick Al Borland is hawking on TV. Do you like it?

Last edited:
If you turn the water on, that lost screw may get flushed out. If you lose it, it should be pretty easy to replace to hold the washer in place. Looks like there's an O-RIng that seals the handle, that you'll also want to replace.

Glad that with twowax's help you could do it. I noticed that you have one of those self folding "silver bullet extreme better than sliced bread" hoses that Tim the Tool Man Taylor's sidekick Al Borland is hawking on TV. Do you like it?

I am not a hose expert but no complaints so far. Good 50 ft length, no tangles, prefer the black over the standard green hose.

Hi everyone,

Sorry, somewhat of a follow up.

I thought I could apply the same knowledge to the valve that feeds the faucet. That is dripping too so I need to change it; however, the mechanics same a little different.

Below are the photos!

I unscrewed the nut and also took the screw out of the handle but it is not budging. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
You’re unscrewing the packing nut. You need to unscrew the bonnet nut that’s square shaped. Screw that packing nut back down snug to protect the threads.

Depending on where it's leaking, you might just tighten down the (smaller) packing nut and stop the leak, or maybe add some packing and tighten it up that way. Otherwise as Twaxhack said, screw the packing nut back on and unscrew the bigger (hex) 'bonnet' nut and the whole thing should come apart. Not sure what replacable or repairable parts are inside there though...

Latest posts

Back