Outdoor faucet quandary

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Mayhew

Reaction score
I went over to help my sister out in a drip system today and found her outdoor faucets are both extremely low to the ground. They’re enough inches up you can connect a hose, but not a timer plus the backflow and all that.

My question is this, is there any known item we could pickup at Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc that would allow us to run the water up a touch and maybe hook the timer on side of the house?

At first I thought maybe just a small hose, but then wasn’t sure if a hose with the water constantly on would eventually burst, since the timer would be after and only be allow water through every so often.

Any advice would be appreciated. If I were to guess I’d say it’s MAYBE 6” from ground.

A picture of the hose bibb would be helpful. Is it a frost free that goes straight into the wall, or does it screw into a drop ear elbow?

If you don't want to solder, you could use shark bite fittings and pex.

Unless the outlet for the existing hose bibb is pointed up, it seems to me that those gooseneck's will take him closer to the ground, rather than away from the ground.
Assuming the distance across the hose thread = about 1", I believe it would look similar to this.
Drawing shows existing hose bib at 45 degrees or straight down. It would likely be at about a 45 degree angle.
Just using one would only drop it about an inch.
SPIGOT.jpg

Or alternately you could get a hose to pipe adapter and pipe up to the desired height.

Actually, I wouldn't worry about a small piece of hose with pressure constantly on bursting. People don't realize it but a garden hose is subject to higher pressure when the water feed to it is shut of while the other end is shut as well. When that water expands due to heat from the sun the pressure with increase since it has no place to expand to, except the hose itself. With the feed valve left open, the pressure would never rise above the water service pressure.
Too much information!

Last edited:
Gosh, I appreciate all of this! I am trying to also get her to send me a picture - I haven’t been back since we started. Just so frustrating, because we bought all these supplies and she has a massive yard full of plants to water; I have a drip and timer on mine and it’s changed my life. Haha. Hiring a plumber to move the spickets could happen, but isn’t in her finanacial cards right now.

Here is a picture of the front one and back. The front one has the back flow and pressure controller that we need to attack to the timer. Also, the stone can’t be moved because under it is a big hole down to the water/sewer controls.

Attachments

• 2A525CFE-D8C5-4225-B5F9-39EA626B075F.jpeg
    2A525CFE-D8C5-4225-B5F9-39EA626B075F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 076AEF48-4C42-4897-A400-EE2BB9A87A1B.jpeg
    076AEF48-4C42-4897-A400-EE2BB9A87A1B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Just put a hose on it and nail your timer wherever. A hose won’t burst under pressure. People leave hose bibs open with sprayer gun hoses connected to them all the time.

Back