Otherwise protected?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasadena_commut

Reaction score
A part of the plumbing code for California says:

(2) All piping and tubing shall be run as directly as practical with adequate provisions for expansion, contraction, jarring, vibration and settling. Exterior piping may be either buried or installed aboveground and shall be well supported and protected against mechanical damage.

Underground piping shall be buried not less than 18 inches below the surface of the ground unless otherwise protected. All underground piping shall be protected from corrosion by coating in compliance with Section 533(b) or equivalent. Zinc coatings (galvanizing shall not be considered adequate protection for piping below ground.

In the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph what does "otherwise protected" mean for a buried pipe? I can imagine that a run of PEX would be "otherwise protected" if it was only 3" down - if it was laid inside a thick stainless steel conduit. That said, it doesn't seem likely that is what they meant in the code. What would be a real world example of a buried pipe which was "otherwise protected"?

Also, anybody know if the depth requirement in the code was changed at some point? Our late 1950's house still has its original service line and it is only 12" down. That seems to be typical in this neighborhood. 2" of dirt would probably be more than enough to avoid frozen pipes. It only gets below freezing at night and then only very rarely. There is snow a couple of times a year in the nearby mountains, but the last time it landed on the ground in the valley was, I believe, 1949.

Otherwise protected usually means sleeving with an outer protective pipe.
We've sleeved with ABS for gas pipe that could not be buried 18" due to obstructions.
Water pipe has been fine and code at 12" for fifty years off the top of my head (in non-freezing climate).

Also, if your water line was under your driveway or a sidewalk to your front door, it would be allowed to be only 12" below the drive.

Back