Older pvc(?) Pipes from vanity, trying to replace water shutoff valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Careyj94

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was trying to replace the old water shut off valves to my bathroom vanity and I don't know how to remove these leftover nuts. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking that if I have to I can make the wall holes bigger to access more pipe. I attached photos below.

Attachments

• 20200829_183133.jpg
    20200829_183133.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 20200829_183140.jpg
    20200829_183140.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200829_183112.jpg
    20200829_183112.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 18
I’m not sure why but I can’t enlarge the photos to get a good look. But that looks like CPVC with compression fittings. Take a fine hacksaw blade and cut the nut in half, then do the same to the ferrule. Be very careful not to cut the pipe

I’m not sure why but I can’t enlarge the photos to get a good look. But that looks like CPVC with compression fittings. Take a fine hacksaw blade and cut the nut in half, then do the same to the ferrule. Be very careful not to cut the pipe
Playing a dangerous game with CPVC. I don’t see that here but it’s thin and brittle I think.

Be prepared for something to break if it’s plastic. After that as Matt30 said use a small hacksaw blade and carefully cut the brass ferrule as one option. Or you can use a small pair of slip joint pliers and gently squeeze the ferrule while pulling and twisting and they will usually pull off

They make a Ferrell removal tool for the brass Ferrell, not sure if it would work with cpvc
I thought about trying a nut removal tool. Not sure if it would work in this situation or not though.

Be prepared for something to break if it’s plastic. After that as Matt30 said use a small hacksaw blade and carefully cut the brass ferrule as one option. Or you can use a small pair of slip joint pliers and gently squeeze the ferrule while pulling and twisting and they will usually pull off
Okay, I tried that for a little bit. I just got worried when it would end up twisting and pulling the pipe itself.

I'm going to try this today. If it works I'll be able to check out the pipe itself and see what condition it's in.

I can vouch for how crappy using CPCV for supply lines in a home is... Breaking 2 of them in same home. Just closing the stops and one just shattered and soaked me with hot water. Thankfully the son was home to close the main valve. Why they would approve CVCP in a 2+ million dollar home is totally beyond me. I won't even touch the pipes there without closing the main shutoff .

Is there anything I should know when considering replacing all the old pvc and Cpvc with pex?

Is there anything I should know ...replacing all the old pvc and Cpvc with pex?
"Why trade a headache for an upset stomach?" (1959 Ad for Bufferin)
For supply lines, install copper; Yes, it's more expensive both to buy and to install.
OTOH, 80 - 90 - 100+ year old copper installations still in service, while you're tearing out plastic pipe that is how old? I've read that under ideal conditions, cpvc was supposed to last 50-65 years, and often failed much sooner. It's kind of a Pay me now -vs- Pay me more later situation.

Back