Old Moen one handle faucet quick-connect

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btseagle98

Reaction score
Howdy folks, need some help with an old faucet.

It’s a Moen (I think - see photo) one handle faucet.49FCC44E-65D3-47F1-87C1-FC4F3925DF91.jpeg

It was slowly leaking water out of the handle and the pressure dropped WAAAAY down.

Replaced the cartridge (easy) and the leak stopped…but the pressure got worse.

I noticed that while I was replacing the cartridge the hot water would not turn completely off and maintained a slow trickle. This lead me to investigate the shut-off valves underneath the sink. Sure enough they were the old style multi-turn valves and looked to be the ones installed when the house was built in 2000. Turned the house water off and took the valves apart…the rubber stopper on the hot water valve was completely gone. See photo below. E9778F9F-B72A-4564-9BB7-541F63671CC7.jpegThis also explains the little black chunks I had to dislodge from the cartridge when I cleaned it.

Bing, bam, boom, after a trip to Home Depot and I’ve got two brand new 1/4 turn valves. Nice and shiny ball valves. They’re so purty.

Here is where this hour long project turned into a maddening three hour ordeal.

Connected all of the valves and hoses, reinstalled the cartridge again, turned the water back on to house and sink I was working on, turned the faucet on…nothing. Not a drop.

Disassembled everything. Re-assembled everything, turned the faucet on….nothing, not a drop.

Removed the cartridge, put a pan in front of the cartridge cavity on front of the faucet, turned the water on and the pressure was GREAT!

Reinstalled the cartridge…nothing.

Figured out how to disconnect the hose quick connect from the faucet underneath the sink. When I did I was immediately sprayed with jet black, almost gooey water. My wife found much more humor in this than I did.

The rubber stopper. That little f@$&er had deteriorated and completely clogged up the check valve located within the quick-connect adapter.

I tried to clean it. No luck
I put pressurized air through it. No luck.

I then took a pick and started pressing down on it. This is when I was able to dislodge some more of my little friend, the rubber stopper from the shut-off valve.

I went to town and kept getting little specks out. Then I realized, I had completely ruined the internal check valve within the quick-connect. Oops.

BUT….

I re-assembled everything and now the sink works GREAT!

So, I say all of that saga to ask a few questions:

What’s the purpose of the little check valve?

Am I OK using the hose/sink without the check valve being present?

If I need to replace the connection, can any of your provide assistance locating the part for me? I’ve included a photo below. It has no sort of part number on it so I’m hoping someone here knows the part and how to get it.

Thank you!
Ben
B9881F68-B798-4734-8352-9509D9E334FC.png

That’s a backflow preventer because the spout outlet could potentially be submerged in water while the faucet is on or the cartridge isn’t shutting off and the spout is submerged……AND then there is a negative pressure in your water system. Water could be sucked back through the faucet and onto your water supply or possibly the neighborhood.

You’ll need to locate the model number of the faucet and then get the parts breakdown. There you’ll find the part number to order.

Moen might send you one free.

If it wasn’t leaking and flow is great then personally I wouldn’t bother replacing it. I’m sure that’ll upset some people but I don’t care……🤡

Put up a big warning sign at the faucet telling everyone never to submerge the spray head into standing water in the sink that would contaminate the public water supply if there should ever be a huge water company rupture such that negative pressure occurs while the spray head is submerged.

Put up a big warning sign at the faucet telling everyone never to submerge the spray head into standing water in the sink that would contaminate the public water supply if there should ever be a huge water company rupture such that negative pressure occurs while the spray head is
Put up a big warning sign at the faucet telling everyone never to submerge the spray head into standing water in the sink that would contaminate the public water supply if there should ever be a huge water company rupture such that negative pressure occurs while the spray head is submerged.

Well, darn…there goes my weekend plans.

Back