Old house old toilet need to Identify the right guts for this anceint toilet pictures included

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGoodJosh

Reaction score
Good morning

Basically the toilet came with house back in 1992 and most likely many years before that, I am having an issue after number 2 you have to wait with a plunger to assist the flush to push everything down, this has been going on for many years and I'm tired I have a plumber coming Tuesday to replace the guts in the toilet I was hoping you guys can help me pick the right gut replacement by the pictures I provide as the service is by the hour I don't want to pick the wrong universal repair kit.

Thanks

https://imgur.com/eLAuKhD

https://imgur.com/fmOPiIU

I don't understand why you are replacing the "guts" of your toilet tank if the problem is a poor flush. That is a Fluidmaster style fill valve and a Mansfield flush valve. Both have gaskets that are easily replaced if they leak. I am going to guess that is an American Standard toilet.
Your flush problem could be caused by mineral buildup in the passageways around the toilet bowl. They direct the water from the tank to wash the bowl from the rim down, and there is probably a hole lower down in the front of the bowl that jets water toward the outlet to get the flush going.
The problem might be the toilet. 1992 was about the time that lower flush toilets were required. The early designs did not always work well with the existing plumbing, especially where the toilet flange was connected to a closet bend right off.
Replacing the entire toilet should be the fix. Pick one that is rated very good at flushing.

BTW, I would not consider 1992 ancient for a toilet. That is only 26 years old. I have recently encountered toilets from about 1970 that still work fine (but @ 5 gal. a flush).

Yeah that’s a Mansfield. Toilet. Not that “ancient”. Lol. I always remove the flush tower and install flapper style. But your flush problem is probably from fill valve on left. The black tube coming from left valve going into top of flush tower. Pull it out and see if water runs out during a refill. If not then your bowl isn’t beginning with a full bowl. At the least replace that fill valve. That looks original inside tank.

Replace that fill valve with a fluidmaster. The gasket can easily be replaced with a new Mansfield gasket. The port holes may need
reamed out under the bowl. That's a 1985 Mansfield toilet. Originally it would have had a ballcock with the arm and ball on it but
somebody replaced it with that piece of junk that's there.

Replace that fill valve with a fluidmaster. The gasket can easily be replaced with a new Mansfield gasket. The port holes may need
reamed out under the bowl. That's a 1985 Mansfield toilet. Originally it would have had a ballcock with the arm and ball on it but
somebody replaced it with that piece of junk that's there.

Could you possibly provide a link to the parts necessary to get everything replaced inside this thing? amazon, home depot, Walmart, Lowes..

Thanks

Pretty common parts
Get a Fluidmaster 400A and a Mansfield 210 seal.
You might need a new tank lever handle also.
Take the handle off and go to HD for a replacement

Back