old galvanized hose bib

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooteneq1

Reaction score
So for whatever reason my house has a hose bib about 4 feet away from my house in the middle of the yard. it is highly inconvenient and i want to move it back to the wall of the house so i stop tripping over the thing. The problem is that it has old galvanized piping leading up to it buried in the ground. the exterior is pretty rusty. How would i go about cutting off the excess pipe and putting an elbow and new pipe on it at the edge of the house with it being this rusty. What kind of a fitting would i use to connect it to make it work, keep in mind where i cut and put a new elbow on will be under ground in the dirt. any help here would be appreciated.....and yes i know its old galvanized pipe that needs replaced and we plan on doing that in the future but i just need a fix for this hose situation in the short term, if there is a solution that is.

There will be either a 90 or a tee in the ground
Unscrew the nipple and install applicable length of galvanized pipe back to the house and bury

There will be either a 90 or a tee in the ground
Unscrew the nipple and install applicable length of galvanized pipe back to the house and bury

I have dug it out to that point to the elbow and its so rusted and corroded there is no way its going to come off normal and a new piece be screwed back in

You are going to have to dig up more than that. Or you could just remove the pipe and cap. I would take it back to point of origin.

You are going to have to dig up more than that. Or you could just remove the pipe and cap. I would take it back to point of origin.

ive dug it out before to see what i was working with and then filled it back up. There is an elbow but i seriously doubt i will be able to unscrew the pipe out without the elbow breaking as its so corroded. after that elbow the pipe keeps going under my slab all the way to the bathroom which is another 12 feet away so i doubt ill be able to reach that next joint, it also would be buried under the ground and seriously corroded as well and doubtful i could anything un attached from it plus ide have to bust through the slab to get through it inside my house so thats not even an option as far as im concerened right now.

My best guess is im going to have to cut this pipe. How do i connect a new joint to it though. Its so corroded im not going to be able to re thread it. What are my options here to put a splice in this thing??? also keeping in mind its going to be buried in the dirt again.

You can always use that galvanize as a "sleeve" and run 1/2" poly in through it to where it ties into the bathroom.

Back