Old Eljier toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partsman41953

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an old, at least 15 year old, Eljier toilet in my master bathroom that will flush maybe once out of 3 times you flush it and when it does flush the flush is very weak. When it does not flush the water will just spin in the toilet and will not go down. I have replaced the flapper and the control valve which did not solve the problem. I have adjusted the chain so the flapper will stay up longer but still no help. The only thing I have not done is plunge it to see if anything is caught in the toilet which did not totally go down and is stuck either in the toilet or the line.

I am open to any suggestions on how to fix this problem as I am soon getting ready to sell my house and really do not want to replace the toilet if that is not the problem.

Thanks

Have you adjusted the float which would change the amount of water in the tank? When the tank fills, the float should stop the incoming water when the top of the water is 1/2" to 1" below the top of the overflow pipe.

I replace the fill valve with a Fluidmaster valve and it does not have the big float valve in the tank. I will have to double check to see how much water is in the tank. I did adjust it so more water would go into the tank but I do not believe there is too much water in there. Like I said, when it does flush it is a very weak flush so I really do not use it that much.

I am assuming that this is the fill valve you installed. The float is the larger black cylinder which rides up and down on the post. Next to that cylinder there will be an adjustable knob that allows you to adjust the water level up up down. As I stated, adjust that so that, when full, the top of the water is about 1/2" or so below the top of the overflow pipe.

Also, I believe that fluidmaster wants you to adjust the height of that fill valve so that the top of it is 3 inches higher than the top of the overflow pipe. I am not sure of that dimension, but it is noted in the installation instructions.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Universal-Toilet-Fill-Valve-400ARP25/100554467
I replace the fill valve with a Fluidmaster valve and it does not have the big float valve in the tank. I will have to double check to see how much water is in the tank. I did adjust it so more water would go into the tank but I do not believe there is too much water in there. Like I said, when it does flush it is a very weak flush so I really do not use it that much.

Dump 3 gallons in the bowl and see how it goes down. If it is slow then you may have a clog. If it goes down fine then i would guess you have a water delivery to the bowl issue. After some years if you have holes around the under side of the bowl that are part of the flush processes they can get clogged and not allow the water in quick enough for the flush.

If it is the holes, get some CLR and a scrungie (sponge with a rough fabric on one side) and scour the holes. Any calcium or sediment will dissolve with a little scrubbing. You can also use a coat hanger to go into each hole and dislodge any sediment that might be blocking them.

Assuming this is an issue with the toilet and not an issue with drain blockage, you should think about replacing the toilet. All midrange and up toilets are far superior to what you have now. They use less water and they are really hard to clog. Plus you have more options for bowl shape, height, surface finish, etc...

Hi all,

I have an old, at least 15 year old, Eljier toilet in my master bathroom that will flush maybe once out of 3 times you flush it and when it does flush the flush is very weak. When it does not flush the water will just spin in the toilet and will not go down. I have replaced the flapper and the control valve which did not solve the problem. I have adjusted the chain so the flapper will stay up longer but still no help. The only thing I have not done is plunge it to see if anything is caught in the toilet which did not totally go down and is stuck either in the toilet or the line.

I am open to any suggestions on how to fix this problem as I am soon getting ready to sell my house and really do not want to replace the toilet if that is not the problem.

Thanks
does the toilet have a(bucket) around the flapper???????its a round plastic piece that resembles that...if so this was eljers shot at 1.6 gpf....we used to take tin snipes and cut a slice in the bucket so the toilet would get enough water to properly flush

Latest posts

Back