Old Custom Shower pan retaining water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

standupguy

Reaction score
Hello All,

I remodeled my bathroom about 3 years ago. We demo'd the shower which had a custom pan that was about 20 years old. It seemed to be in decent shape- didn't leak etc., so we kept it and proceeded.
wkGa0.jpg
Lately I noticed a grout line on the floor sill that needed to be redone and upon close inspection I noticed that a few of the 2X2 tiles on the pan were loose. I ended up removing bout 6 sq ft and it looks like the water that found its way underneath has not been draining properly. Taking a closer look at the drain assembly itself, I cannot detect any holes through which water that has infiltrated the pan could drain.
BHpyV.jpg
I'd really like to avoid pouring a new pan if possible so I'm thinking that maybe I could drill some holes diagnally from the pan into the side of the drain so thatthe water can escape. As I understand it, pans like this are sipposed to be poured so that they are slightly porous and can thus drain off any water which mightfind its way to the pan through the grout lines. Any thoughts, comments or advicewould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your reply John. So far, all I've had to do is remove some floor tile. It's an easy job to reset and grout them so I'm inclined to try drilling some weep holes and giving it a shot. BTW, did older drains not have weep holes? I sure couldn't see any. To be honest, I've never built a custom pan before and am a bit intimidated by the prospect of doing it myself.

All I can say is you'll never be any closer to the problem then you are right now. It is no big deal to replace the pan and install the shower drain. In my opinion there is nothing worse then doing the same job twice.

John

Latest posts

Back