Old bathroom supply valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tou Lee

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the silver part is and how to remove? I'm replacing the old bathroom sink faucet and it didn't have a shut off valve so I thought I'd add one while I'm at it...but I don't know what this is and can't turn it. Maybe it's just old and a bit stuck? I was able to remove the water connector fine (gray line).
1699735676972.png

Is that galvanized steel pipe? Where is this house and when was it built? It's going to be hard to remove that nickel plated piece from the galvanized steel pipe.

Is that galvanized steel pipe? Where is this house and when was it built? It's going to be hard to remove that nickel plated piece from the galvanized steel pipe.
I believe it is a steel pipe (I'm just a weekend plummer at home so not too knowledgable). 1960's house in Minnesota. I tried spraying the threads with pb blaster but was still not able to remove it. I ended up just leaving it and replacing the supply line along with the faucet.

You could be very careful and take a torch and heat the threads which will soften the pipe dope and help
you unscrew them counterclockwise. Then put on a new shut off valve. The nipple needs to be backed up
with another wrench when taking off and putting new on. The nipple will either be either 1/2" or 3/8" IPS.

Back