Okay—Hit me hard!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell-DIY-Guy

Reaction score
So, the client asked me to come and do a minor little home maintenance item for them, which I accomplished in 10 minutes. Then, they asked me to take a look at their outside fireplace, which is actually in a covered screened in porch. They had a suspicion that things were not done correctly, and they asked me to pass some judgment on it as an inspector, and just as a general handyman.

See the photos. What the contractor did was tap off of the hard gas line that was stubbed out for the gas grill line. Then, he used soft copper tubing and directly buried it. Next it comes out of the ground and goes right into a wall. Then it directly feeds this gas fireplace. There is no shut off for the gas anywhere near the fireplace. The fireplace itself is an indoor unit place somewhat outside. The unit is rusting.

So plumbing experts, hit me hard on this one. Tell me everything you see wrong and not just with code, but also best practices. I don’t know the code on soft copper for gas, but it sure doesn’t look smart to directly bury it. Most properly installed fireplaces have a gas shut off somewhere visible from the front of the fireplace. I can’t tell you whether or not that gas line after the regulator can supply both the grill and the fireplace at the same time (properly) and I doubt the contractor could have figured that out without testing it. It looks like the initial contractor who built the house put in CSST buried from this point out to the gas grill stub off. Maybe there’s nothing wrong with soft copper here but my guess is it should’ve been sleeved or something. It sure doesn’t look right.

So please tell me everything you see wrong here.

Attachments

• E8D74EEF-B2BD-4C67-8854-5CE2EE5BFC9A.jpeg
    E8D74EEF-B2BD-4C67-8854-5CE2EE5BFC9A.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 6D794565-6CFE-4376-9942-729A4F32EB9B.jpeg
    6D794565-6CFE-4376-9942-729A4F32EB9B.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
They should have requested a licenced, insured plumber in the 1st place
Of course. As often happens, both here and in other places, is the primary contractor was the landscaper/mason that did the masonry work (i.e. building the stone fireplace surround, etc.) His subcontractor should have been licensed and insured. But I bet there was NO subcontractor at all...

Copper is fine directly buried. The pipe entering the wall should be sleeved or steel pipe.

Looks like that red handle valve may be the cut off. Should be closer to unit or a permanent tag instructing where the valve is. I can’t remember the code on that exactly as it reads.

Different city’s, etc, allow different stuff.

Of course. As often happens, both here and in other places, is the primary contractor was the landscaper/mason that did the masonry work (i.e. building the stone fireplace surround, etc.) His subcontractor should have been licensed and insured. But I bet there was NO subcontractor at all...
Most builders were I'm from wouldn't touch that to easy to get their lic pulled

by law you need a shut off with in 6 feet of the appliance

G2420.5.1 (409.5.1) Located Within Same Room
The shutoff valve shall be located in the same room as the appliance. The shutoff valve shall be within 6 feet (1829 mm) of the appliance, and shall be installed upstream of the union, connector or quick disconnect device it serves. Such shutoff valves shall be provided with access. Shutoff valves serving movable appliances, such as cooking appliances and clothes dryers, shall be considered to be provided with access where installed behind such appliances. Appliance shutoff valves located in the firebox of a fireplace shall be
installed in accordance with the appliance manufacturer's instructions.

How does the logs get lit. Is there a pilot control or do you light it by hand. Is there a basement or crawl
space. They make valves that go into the floor with a key. Or you can mount them on the burner assembly.
But no matter what there has to be an approved valve inside the fireplace.

Back