oil and rocks in galvanized pipe help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piped

Reaction score
Wondering if anybody has seen this before?

I was getting a slow flow condition in a basement toilet. The handyman started pulling out the galvanized and found this supply line in the wall. It's oil and rocks in there and he said it smells horrible!

We are replacing this pipe and looking upstream to make sure it's clean, but baffled why there would be oil/rocks in this..

Any ideas ?

Just as background, this supply was connected to the basement toilet and trap primer ( which failed ). The rest of the fixtures in the bathroom ( shower, sink, laundy sink ) all work fine with no flow issue.

99d9786b-7e72-4c64-8785-000888d8618e.jpeg ec15f8f3-97a2-4848-9bcb-3451ed8763fb.jpeg

Frodo is correct. I installed a backflow device last night and galvanize through the whole building. Iron ductile coming in. Discharge line kept leaking. All I could do is suggest a repipe. It’ll continue to happen. View attachment 19725View attachment 19726

Attachments

• IMG_4313.JPG
    IMG_4313.JPG
    608.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4300.JPG
    IMG_4300.JPG
    615.8 KB · Views: 20
Frodo is correct. I installed a backflow device last night and galvanize through the whole building. Iron ductile coming in. Discharge line kept leaking. All I could do is suggest a repipe. It’ll continue to happen. View attachment 19725View attachment 19726
So you're saying that in your case it was coming in from the main service, ductile iron line?

I see you had to use a Reduced pressure zone backflow preventer.

I have run across the same thing in the buildings we take care of on our campus...the rpz ,s are loaded with debris we just pull them apart vac and scape them down {plastic scraper)change parts if needed and put them back together....bleed air out of the device or it will dump.....I think its a water quality issue some of our in some of our buildings the water even ate away at s.s fixtures in a commercial kitchen now there is an extensive filtration system on that

Back