Odor from downstairs bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCGUY

Reaction score
We've been in this house, which was built in 2001, for 9yrs. Ever since moving in, we've had a severe sewer odor coming from the downstairs bathroom. I've personally replaced the wax seal twice and had plumbers out on 3 different occasions, but the smell continues. The septic tank was pumped about 4yrs ago. I've taken the time to understand the plumbing and vents. The downstairs bathroom does not have a separate vent, but the main drain from one of the upstairs bathrooms connects approximately 4ft from the toilet. I'll admit that I haven't checked the vent upstairs, but we've not had any issues in that bathroom, so I assume its ok. Any thoughts? I'm getting quite frustrated. Thanks!

There is a guy locally here that can smoke test a system. very rare but call around. Only seen it done once on a old commercial bldg. that had a lot of cracked cast-iron pipe. He connects a smoke generator to a vent and blows smoke into the system. It will reveal any air leaks in the system.

Back