Odor from basement drains

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Away

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been having odor problems in the basement since purchasing this house several months ago. It's an older construction, ground-floor bungalow with a finished basement. The bathrooms are on one side of the house, the laundry and kitchen on the other, with separate vents & drains that don't meet until they're under the concrete. The issue is happening to both sides.

The odor is different from each drain, it seems to hold onto what went down nearby in the last few days - Stale detergent and BO from the laundry room sink, urine from the basement bathroom, etc. And it only happens in the basement, none of the main floor fixtures have any problems.

It doesn't look like the traps are going dry, there's always water in them but they release more odor when they're disturbed. Even running water into the drain, or putting something down it, will kick up a stronger odor. Deodorizers don't work because of this, and the problem keeps coming back.

I had a plumber come in, he thought it was a venting problem and put a cheater vent in the laundry room, but it has done nothing for the odors. I did also clear an obstruction from the vent stack feeding the laundry room and kitchen sink, but that didn't change anything either. The other stack was fine, and flushing them both with water goes all the way to the bottom. The odors are still there, and the plumber doesn't have any other ideas.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? I'll look into anything at this point.

Thanks for your time!

You possibly have a break in you're drain pipe. Tell you're plumber to send a camera down the drains

Thanks for your reply!

I did a sewer pipe inspection prior to getting the house, and there didn't seem to be any issues. I realize things could have changed since then, but do you think this is likely? I haven't smelled anything foul, like sewage - Just stale laundry and urine. Not sure if that's relevant.

I guess the only way to be certain would be to send the camera down again.

I would replace all toilet wax rings and make sure every fixture has a p trap and inspect you're crawl space for leaks

Latest posts

Back