Odd size drain pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl Lewis

Reaction score
I have a leaking drain pipe just below my kitchen at the joint between the main pipe and a cleanout (see photos). The pipe appears to be galvanized or steel based on the finish of the exterior of the pipe (see photos). I snaked this drain yesterday and apparently ate away at enough of the gunk and corroded piping interior to cause a leak at the joint.

I measured the O.D. of the pipe with a caliper and it measures 2 1/2 inches, on the outside. I've done a little homework and not finding any drain pipe material that comes in a size that measures 2 1/2 inches on the OD. I realize most (all) plumbing pipes are measured via the I.D. rather than the O.D. But If I'm going to repair a segment of this pipe I need to join the old with some sort of newer material/size pipe. Is this an odd size for drain pipe? Or just old and outdated?

More importantly, does anyone have any suggestions for how I could repair this, either doing it myself or hiring it out? I assume if I hire it out the plumber will be able to find the proper size materials, but will they really?

Attachments

• IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
2'' PVC is IPS size or "international pipe size". You will need at minimum 2, 2'' shielded bands (no hub) and whatever fittings you need to go from A to B.

There is no reason to think otherwise. There is no oddball size unless you are talking about lead.

Some would argue that to be 1000% proper, you would need a transition fitting to go from one to the other, but it is really not needed. Tighten the bands with a screw driver, tight, and move on with your life, to need for a torque wrench.

2'' PVC is IPS size or "international pipe size". You will need at minimum 2, 2'' shielded bands (no hub) and whatever fittings you need to go from A to B.
2.2" shielded bands are going to stretch over 2.5" steel/galvanized?

yes, you need 2" bands, dont over think
I appreciate that. I guess I just hate getting the wrong pieces and making multiple trips to get them, or worse, not being able to do what I need to because things don't fit properly. Thank you.

I appreciate that. I guess I just hate getting the wrong pieces and making multiple trips to get them, or worse, not being able to do what I need to because things don't fit properly. Thank you.
Buy Everything you might need then return what you don’t use to the store at the end of the job.

maybe next time, take some more pictures, and someone here can give you a list that will get you close.

Hate to say it but if that section is corroded through, the rest isn’t far behind.

My be worth replacing as much as you can. (Include the clean outs along the way).

PVC is cheap, adding another $30 bucks now will save you from doing this again, to a different section, a few months from now.

Back