Not your usual water pressure question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackstir

Reaction score
Hello all!

Story is we had a sewer line collapse, old orangeburg, which caused us to forcefully remodel our bathroom. We decided to have a new tub, vanity, and toilet put in. These were small adjustments to the existing fixtures in the original bathroom. The plumber hired did the work, but ever since the we can't have 2 facets running at the same time. We have checked all valves, called the city. They ran a pressure check and found we are getting 60psi with no facets on. Once a facet turns on it drops to 30psi. Two facets 10psi. Shut of the facets simultaneously and instantly it snaps to 60psi.

The plumber blames corrosion in the supply line to the house. However looking at his plumbing, I found places where he went from 1/2" supply lines into 3/4" then back to 1/2". There is also numerous connectors and elbows. This is PEX. I didn't think you needed so many joints using PEX. For the pressure snapping back to 60psi so quickly I don't believe it's blockage in my lines. There is no galvanized under the house, and no problem before his work.

Any input is appreciated!

You don't have a pressure problem, you have a flow problem. Sounds like the 1/2" pex he used might be the problem.

I agree it's error on his part, and he is not taking responsibility. You would think if the service to the house is 3/4 it should remain 3/4 until it must be stepped down for fixtures. Not sure why he did it the way he did. I'll have a layout on here soon.

Similar story happened to me( It might help) house pressure was very low ,when more then one fixture was turned on, house pressure was at 60 psi , I flushed a toilet, pressure dropped to 10 psi, immediately one of my experienced plumber friends suggested replacing the prv valve sure enough that fixed the problem.

After getting a closer look into was able to get better information. Service to house is 3/4 inch galvanized. Turns to 1/2 cts od. Splits one to heater then off to fixtures. Remains cts until new plumbing where it was stepped down to what looks like 1/4" PEX? Definitely smaller than the cts line. That goes to toilet and vanity fixtures. The tub fixtures receive what appears to step up to 1" PEX. I counted around 6 elbows. The PEX is put in as if it's pvc. Straight runs with elbows. I'm at a loss.

Pictures, we like pictures.......

Or, as said in a pictorial-

worthless.gif

was this a jack leg job or was a contract signed ?

if it was a jack leg, you could take him to small claims and gamble the judge does not throw it out

due to no permit or license .

some will hear your case some will run you off

if a contract was signed, what does the contract say he will do ?

was this a jack leg job or was a contract signed ?

if it was a jack leg, you could take him to small claims and gamble the judge does not throw it out

due to no permit or license .

some will hear your case some will run you off

if a contract was signed, what does the contract say he will do ?

There is a statement to what he did and how much it costs. Not really a contract signed by both parties. He is a legit business, not just a guy who has a truck and a couple elbows. Looking back, we should have had a contract. He moved a toilet 2 ft. A tub 3ft. A vanity 3ft. He didn't even reconnect those fixtures and it cost over 1800.00. There wasn't even a subfloor when he did the work.

There is a statement to what he did and how much it costs. Not really a contract signed by both parties. He is a legit business, not just a guy who has a truck and a couple elbows. Looking back, we should have had a contract. He moved a toilet 2 ft. A tub 3ft. A vanity 3ft. He didn't even reconnect those fixtures and it cost over 1800.00. There wasn't even a subfloor when he did the work.

can you post pictures of the water piping

Pictures are finally here! This tracks my water from service, softener, through the new plumbing back to existing. Sorry for the wait!

20161013_161659.jpg

20161013_161722.jpg

20161013_162246.jpg

20161013_162352.jpg

20161013_162518.jpg

20161013_162546.jpg

20161013_162615.jpg

20161013_162730.jpg

Have you tried bypassing the softener and then checking making sure that's not it? I had an issue like this last week and that's what the problem was. If not probably your galvanized main service.

Back