Not Pumped In 35-40 Years - Problem?? (Maine)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobRock2112

Reaction score
We are looking at a 600 SF Modular home (Not A Mobile Home) on 33 acres in rural Maine. We just learned the owner doesn't think the septic has ever been pumped and it was built in 1970/1971. So, it's been 35 to 40 years.

I believe no one has lived in the house for the last 2 years and only an Elderly woman for several years before that. Prior to that, that same elderly woman and her elderly husband.

It is a 1500 Gallon Tank. No smell or seepage outside and it goes right down if I flush it. She does have a washer tied into it, but I don't know how often it was used.

If it is true that it has never been pumped, does this mean Failure is going to occure for sure or more than likely? If it's working now and we pump it, will that be OK?

If worse comes to worse, I'm assuming it would be the leaching field that would need to be replaced. What does that cost and are there any govt programs to help with this for low income / handicapped people?

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back