Noisy condo pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickc98

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in a condo building. I've noticed a loud sound (almost like a continuous howling or shrieking sound) coming from the water pipes in both our washrooms when the above unit (or units) use their sink or shower. The sound level varies, though when it is the loudest, you can feel my sink and shower faucets vibrate. This sound and vibration does not occur when I use our own sink/shower; only when the units above me use theirs. I'm including link below to a youtube video I found which is essentially the noise i'm experiencing. Any thoughts on what this could be? I contacted the person who uploaded the video and he indicated that his problem was resolved by replacing a gasket in his neighbour's kitchen line on the other side of the wall. So far, my condo management has replaced my neighbour's cartridges in their shower faucets; though this has not resolved the issue for me. They also said that they checked the water pressure and it is at normal levels. Apparently no other unit has complained about the noise. As mentioned above, when the noise is the loudest, you can feel my sink and shower faucets vibrate. It is also loud enough to hear when in other rooms in my condo. As such, I'm thinking that it is not "normal" (as was hinted by my condo management). I was wondering if anybody had thoughts on what the potential issue could be?

The following video demonstrates the noise i'm experiencing:

https://youtu.be/kWrti9mWHfs

Thanks!

Could be a toilet like this one.
Or a loose washer in a faucet.
Did you try knocking on their door and try to find out what is being used when you hear it.

It's odd, but I often have to introduce neighbors to one another when I am trouble shooting a problem.

This one is exceptionally loud.
Might want to dial down your volume a little.
They are not usually this loud.
Often heard in other parts of the house as it resonates through the copper water lines

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUp6uke625g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUp6uke625g[/ame]

Last edited:
Are they shower stalls or tub shower combos?

May be the diverter when activated to go from tub spout to shower. Mine is the pull up on spout and does it occasionally

Apparently the noise is present in all units on my riser. Condo management is suggesting that its normal, but im really not buying it as I've never heard such noises in any other apartment ive been in. Of the noise occurs in every unit on my riser, what could be the potential causes?

Apparently the noise is present in all units on my riser. Condo management is suggesting that its normal, but im really not buying it as I've never heard such noises in any other apartment ive been in. Of the noise occurs in every unit on my riser, what could be the potential causes?

tell them FRODO said it is not normal

Liked 759 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Did you try knocking on their door and try to find out what is being used when you hear it.

It's odd, but I often have to introduce neighbors to one another when I am trouble shooting a problem.

Often heard in other parts of the house as it resonates through the copper water lines

Last edited:
tell them FRODO said it is not normal

Liked 759 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Ha..that'll set em straight!

Latest posts

Back