noisey plumbing

Discussion in 'General Plumbing Help' started by tellstar, Oct 23, 2013.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 23, 2013 #1

tellstar

tellstar

tellstar

I just finished a remodel on a second story bathroom. Half of the bathroom sits over the master bedroom. The customer is complaining about the amount of water noise that she can hear in her bedroom below. There is some drain noise but the main thing she hears is the water hiss from the supply lines. I have determined that most of the noise is coming mainly from the tub/shower valve when the shower is not in use. She supplied the Kohler tub/shower combo fixture.

I have insulated around the pipes with batts but the noise still comes through.

I have debated on removing the sheetrock from the ceiling below the bathroom and replacing the copper that runs in between the floors with pex so the hiss won't transfer down the pipes. (We moved the tub, toilet and sink all to new locations so there are some copper runs with several 90 deg elbows that the pex would eiliminate..) Then spraying the whole area between the floor/clg with open cell spray insulation. Is this a possible solution? or does anyone have an ideas on what to do? Preferrably an idea less invasive to the house and my wallet...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. Oct 23, 2013 #2

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

Senior Member Professional

What is the water pressure? Is there a pressure reducing valve on the water main? If not you may need one.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #3

tellstar

tellstar

tellstar

There is no pressure reducing valve. So you think the problem could be too much pressure?

4. Oct 24, 2013 #4

chukar

chukar

chukar

Professional Professional

If the bathroom sits over a bed room, I would have used cast iron or dwv copper, they wouldn't be any drain sounds like you get with plastic, something to consider for next time.

5. Oct 24, 2013 #5

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

johnjh2o

Senior Member Professional

Check your pressure. You can get a pressure gauge that attaches to your outside faucet. Check the pressure with nothing running.