Noises - looking for advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primer

Reaction score
New home. Beautiful. Very happy overall.

Yesterday for the first time someone upstairs flushed while I was downstairs. The sound of the water and solids making their way through the drain pipes in the wall was astonishinly loud - and left little to the imagination about what it was.

Is this normal? I can only assume that fixing it now would be very complex if not impossible. Is it just a matter of lack of insulation in the interior walls - or is there some other plumbing trick that could have been done to avoid this. I don't ever remember noticing this sort of thing before.

Any advice would be helpful. I plan to discuss with the builder, but would prefer to be as educated as possible when I do.

TL

Hi.
I believe it is lack of insulation around the pipe. In fairness if you can hear it they sound very clear and free From blockages.
Wrap the pipe in rock wall insulation (loft roll) if you can access it. Unfortunately there's not a lot more you can do unless you can relocate the pipework externally.

unfortuneatelly resonance is large in Plastic dwv piping, Cast iron is better for sound insulation though it is rarely used in resodential due to higher cost. Wrapping the pipe would help, as would making sure the piping properly supported in a way that allows for expansion and contraction ( these are the Tick tick Tick Sounds that you hear in older houses when Hot water is used and shortly afterwards as the pipe cools )

if the pipe is strapped or if the holes arnt properly drilled and the Dwv pipe is pressing on the Wood it will also transmit sound more to its surroundings, Stacks should be secured using riser clamps where they penatrate through the floor.

Also, if you are still moving in and the spaces arnt filled there will be many sounds noticablle that wouldnt be when all your stuff is in the space dampening the sound.

Hope this helps.

Hi.
I believe it is lack of insulation around the pipe. In fairness if you can hear it they sound very clear and free From blockages.
Wrap the pipe in rock wall insulation (loft roll) if you can access it. Unfortunately there's not a lot more you can do unless you can relocate the pipework externally.

unfortuneatelly resonance is large in Plastic dwv piping, Cast iron is better for sound insulation though it is rarely used in resodential due to higher cost. Wrapping the pipe would help, as would making sure the piping properly supported in a way that allows for expansion and contraction ( these are the Tick tick Tick Sounds that you hear in older houses when Hot water is used and shortly afterwards as the pipe cools )

if the pipe is strapped or if the holes arnt properly drilled and the Dwv pipe is pressing on the Wood it will also transmit sound more to its surroundings, Stacks should be secured using riser clamps where they penatrate through the floor.

Also, if you are still moving in and the spaces arnt filled there will be many sounds noticablle that wouldnt be when all your stuff is in the space dampening the sound.

Hope this helps.

Appreciate the input. Can't access the pipes at this point. Not hard to figure out which wall they are in. If I were to rip out a section of drywall to access and insulate it would be a big deal.

Does this happen a lot?

it does happen on occasion I wager though i've not had a service call complaining unless there is water running out of the wall or celing or such, I would look into the possability of just nocking a hole in the drywall and having the cavity filled with loose fill. It could be blown in without having to remove a whole sheet of drywall would only leave a small patch job... My only real concern would be any electrical outlets in the cavity, I am unsure weather the loose fill could potentially be a fire danger if in contact with an outlet or light switch, but food for your thinking and Im curious to know if anyone has that answer handy... Perhaps this is your job to inquire.

:)

The problem with noise from waste lines has been around since they started using PVC and ABS piping. Don't hear as much about it any more as I think were just getting used to it. My guess is the OP is coming from a older home that had cast iron pipe.

John

The low tech solution that most of us have settled on is this: Don't flush the upstairs toilet when you have company. :)

Tom

Awww but I was going to install glass piping to spiral the living room while they were over.... :D

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Never actually lived in a home with a toilet upstairs. My grandparents did - but suspect it was indeed the cast iron pipe.

I had wondered about insulating the involved interior wall. Might need to do the ceiling. I'm not sure what "loose fill" is, but suspect that will be easy to find out.

The "don't flush around company" solution only goes so far. It's interesting when you're gathered around the living room and one of the kids flushes. Everyone quietly looks at one another downstairs quietly with a puzzled look for a minute until it clicks what is gurgling through the wall... It would be hilarious to me if it wasn't my house.

Mostly I wanted to hear that this is a problem the builder should fix. It sounds to me like it is what it is and the builder will not feel compelled to help much with it.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back