noise in pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatheroffivein04

Reaction score
I have a noise coming from the hot water side of the bathroom faucet. It sounds like a low horn noise mixed with a little whistling. It only happens at the hot water side in the bathroom. I have had some hot water plumbing challenges that could possibly have stirred up a bunch of setiment in the lines. The house is over sixty years old. The pipes are mostly all 1/2" galvanized. Any suggestions?

restriction in the pipe causing a venturi effect. galvanized pipes always eventually close up from mineral deposits, if you were to look in the pipe it would be pinched off by a red sludge. the only real solution is to replace the galvanized lines with pex or copper. i would wager that the 1/2 inch lunes are internally much less now due to settlement. think of a pan flute.

Not really, over time galvanized pipes often become drawn and brittle. I have reno'd houses where the pipe wall can be broken by a hard press of the finger, But the inner walls are sooo saturated with menerals and, being constant enough to disperse the pressures inside over an area they hold fine. what will happen is eventually the pipe will get choced off permanently. You'll see the Deposits I'm talking about when you take out the original lines, look down a section of pipe and you will be amazed at how much red Mineral and iron depoisits are inside.

If I were to guess, The sound you are talking about is worst when you open the valve slowly and Find "just the right point".... sometimes accomany'd by Pipe resonance, a chatter across the lines not unlike Water hammer.
??

:)

You hit the nail on the head. I have in the past replaced sections of the galvanized pipe to find them full of deposits. Thank you so much for your quick response to my questions. I will come back here more often and hope I can be of help or have been to someone else. Now I need to find a good price on copper tubing$$$$ Thanks again

No worrys at all, I like to help and am glad I could be helpfull.

... Keeps me sharp ..

:)

consider Pex also, It is cheaper than Copper tubing and can ( if done Correctlly ) be as good, and some would boster its better.

Latest posts

Back