No Running Water - Help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshmill200

Reaction score
Hi all - would really appreciate ideas on this matter from some experts.

My wife and I were out of town 3.5 days for Christmas and when we returned to our 2nd floor condo we had no running water. This happened one other time last year and we were able to get the water running again by turning off the main water line to the building for a brief moment and turning it back on again (air pocket?). The water valve to our unit is wide open.

I have tried this trick numerous times in the last 12 hours and it has not worked. We are still water-less.

Here is some other information that may help solve the case
  • All other occupied units in the building (6 of 7 are occupied) have water, including the unit above me
  • The unit below me is unoccupied and has been winterized - the water to the unit has been shut off
  • There is no report of water leakage in my unit or anywhere else in the building
  • When we turned the water on upon return we only got a few drips and then it was dry.

It's Christmas Day so getting a plumber out today is not going to happen. The wife is not happy. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Did you have water while the unoccupied unit's water was shut off earlier?

I'm wondering if something somewhere leading to your condo got shutoff by mistake.

I don't think so. I believe we have a shutoff valve for our unit right where the water heater is located. It's open.

The other shutoff valves would shut off water to all the other units, which have water.

It may be a frozen water line. You say the unit below you is winterized. I would assume that the heat is turned off in that unit. Your water line may run through the unheated unit below you.

We also faced the same problem last year, it was because of the weather. We turned on the tap for a minute and then the hot water started coming.

how did the air lock occur last time, usually that would only happen if someone is working on it, best way to remove an air pocket is a wet vac on the end of a tap
but I doubt very much that is your problem

when you say property below is winterized, when was this done, could someone have turned of your supply at the same time

Back