No hot water at tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verland

Reaction score
My folks who live in another city had a plumber come by about a year ago because they weren't getting hot water to their tub. Their house was built in 1960, a newer hot water tank resides in the basement and the tub is right above the basement 1/2 bathroom. No plumbing changes had taken place for a few years before this problem cropped up. It seemed that suddenly, the hot water flow to their shower faucet on the upstairs floor was significantly reduced and after tearing out about 10' of the hot water line near the tub and replacing it with a hose, they had hot water to their tub again (though not the volume of water they had before). I'm really surprised that a plumber would replace hard pipe with hose material but that's what happened and now the problem appears to be back again. It would SEEM that the easiest fix might be to grab onto the sink in the basement bath directly below and tap into that hot water line to run new hard pipe to the hot water nearly directly above but I wanted to throw the problem out here for any ideas. It seems really unusual that they'd have that kind of build up in a hot water line that would restrict down to nada but... Not being a plumber by trade, maybe its more common than I thought.

Any ideas on a good approach here? It would SEEM that getting the hose material replaced would be ideal. Thanks very much for any ideas...

Is there a gauze filter on the shower inlet? This could be blocked with scale or debris. Isolate the shower supply and inspect. Clean if necessary.
Usually the bore of flexible hose is less than that of rigid pipe and this can cause a reduced flow rate.

Shut the water off to the shower. Take the stem out of the hot side and turn the back on and see that will clean it out.

Back