No drain vents in concrete slab (shop bathroom)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autobodyguy

Reaction score
Hello! I purchased a house with a shop that has rough in plumbing for a bathroom in the slab (shower, sink, toilet) but there are no drain vents. My question is can I wye off the drain pipe right as it exits the exterior and run a 2" pipe up the side of the building to solve this? I definitely don't want to dig up the slab inside. Thanks for any help in advance!

The sink will be easy since it is above the slab. The shower & toilet will need breaking the concrete in order to properly venting it. There is no easy way around it.

The sink will be easy since it is above the slab. The shower & toilet will need breaking the concrete in order to properly venting it. There is no easy way around it.

My question is they signed off on the plans and the rough in before pouring the slab. So why are they requiring them now?

Was a permit pulled on the job and was a final inspection passed. You cant just put a vent at the end of the line, that does nothing to vent the fixtures.

It had an open permit for three fixtures when I bought it and still is open. The last inspection was for the slab rough in back in 2015 and that passed without vent lines

you said , I quote ''with a shop that has rough in plumbing for a bathroom in the slab (shower, sink, toilet''

If you have a drain for the sink, that is the vent for the bathroom
if you install your kitchen sink back to back with the bathroom sink
we might be able to get you some plumbing

but you have to give me a sketch or a picture of what you have
and answer the questions we ask

if they did in fact sign off on the rough plumbing
the city/state building department/plumbing department will have a record of the inspection
request a copy of the inspection and permit. prolly 5 dollar for the copy

you said , I quote ''with a shop that has rough in plumbing for a bathroom in the slab (shower, sink, toilet''

If you have a drain for the sink, that is the vent for the bathroom
if you install your kitchen sink back to back with the bathroom sink
we might be able to get you some plumbing

but you have to give me a sketch or a picture of what you have
and answer the questions we ask

if they did in fact sign off on the rough plumbing
the city/state building department/plumbing department will have a record of the inspection
request a copy of the inspection and permit. prolly 5 dollar for the copy

Sorry if I've confused you. There wont be a kitchen sink. Only the bathroom with the shower, sink and toilet. I will try to do a sketch after work. Thank you

The wet vent off the sink may handle the venting requirements. Underground rough is different from your in wall rough inspection. Like Frodo said a picture would help, you will want to listen to him he is very knowledgeable. I am strictly large commercial/industrial plumbing now and everything gets a vent.

The wet vent off the sink may handle the venting requirements. Underground rough is different from your in wall rough inspection. Like Frodo said a picture would help, you will want to listen to him he is very knowledgeable. I am strictly large commercial/industrial plumbing now and everything gets a vent.

Thanks guys. I am grateful for any of the knowledge I'm am getting here. I'm not s sure if this picture will help. The shower is to the right and the drain exit is right behind the toilet. I had an Oatey sure vent under the sink. Maybe he just didn't see it.

Attachments

• 20181216_184805.jpg
    20181216_184805.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Technically the AAV should be above the flood level of the fixture. I have been allowed to tuck them up high under sinks but only with inspectors blessing. I am not sure of your code for your area. I am fairly certain that the sink with the vent would have to tie in between the toilet and the shower to be ok.

I was just told at the permit office I can run a 2" vent pipe behind the sink and up through the roof since all fixtures are within a 5 ft radius. Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back