Newbie to the forum

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmeach

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
this my first post on the forum so thanks in advance for any responses!
We have a dual sink, one side with a disposal the other a drain. Recently we got a new sink and counter top and went from top mounted to under mounted sink that is also deeper. We also have a dish washer with the drain how piped into the system.
Now the cross pipe from the disposal to the down pipe on the other sink is lower than the drain pipe going into the wall. This causes two problems, 1 it the disposal works but water ran in that side drains very slow, 2 the angle of the cross pipe is such that it leaks around the retaining nut.
I see 3 options to fixing the problem.
1.Tear open the wall under the sink to get at main drain pipe and lower it enough so the pipe coming out of the disposal is level and adjust the trap height. Side note hear is what are the measurements for getting proper drainage? How low should the trap be to the height of the main drain pipe going into the wall?
2. Remove the disposal? Correct the height of the trap(see #1)
3. Can I put a Y connector at the wall and bring the disposal and drain sink in separately into the main drain pipe going into the wall? I would only have a trap on the drain section.
Thanks
KMeach

Back