Newbie-Basement rough-in plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayplumbing

Reaction score
Ok, So I have zero plumbing experience and last year I finished my entire basement electrical and all. Had electricians come in and my work was good so now for the last part of the project.....the basement bathroom. So right now it looks like it's been roughed in and I see a lot of pipes going into the same space to connect to, but I haven't a clue what they are. Does any one know of a good visual aid that breaks down the various pipes so I can have a starting point. Or possibly the purpose of each?

Thanks,

Ok so here are 3 pictures of what I see in the space. I assume the small diameter long pipe is the sink drain, The wider diameter pipe is for the toilet drain, but I don't know what the other drain is for that has the square cutout. The pipe comes up about the floor about an inch and the pipe turns 90 degrees and stops over the hole. Also, in the pictures for the ceiling I assume the two copper lines that are capped are cold and hot? What is the other PVC that is capped off? Vents? Let me know if I'm partially right so I can ask the million other questions I h ave. Thanks

photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg

photo.jpg

You are pretty much spot on with the pipe's intended uses.

The third pipe looks to be 1 1/2", intended for a bathtub. I am puzzled by it turning horizontal above the slab, I can't think of any reason for that.

I would trace that pipe in the ceiling back to make sure it is for future venting. It makes sense that it would be, but it never hurts to be sure, it could also be a cleanout.

You will want to make sure that your shutoff valve holds before cutting into those copper lines.

Ok so don't laugh at my crude diagram, but I think I understand how to connect all the water lines and drains, but I don't understand the vents? What does the vent in the ceiling connect to and does only the toilet require one? Can you look at the diagram and show me what I'm missing? Thanks,

photo.jpg

Back